The Student Room Group

Deciding not to go to a festival

Hello,
So this isn't necessarily a question, but more so a blog post.
For the past somewhat 3 months, I have been pulling my hair out about trying to decide what I am going to do in September. My options were taking an 11-month gap year of travel, or enrol in university. Except for a one week in Greece, and a two day festival, I spent my entire summer stressing, day in day out.
Anyhow, yesterday, I had made my decision. But, I was also considering going to Creamfields North, even though it was already Thursday, and I would be going the next day, and I did not yet have any tickets. I was not going to buy any tickets until I had made a decision on September plans.
I checked Thursday evening, and disappointingly, there weren't any re-sale tickets left. I thought it couldn't get any worse. But, then, later that night, I was checking Facebook and found someone selling £260 tickets for £300. Nervously, I brought them, sending the seller a £100 deposit. I was nervous, not because I was buying them second-hand, but because it was all very last-minute and stressful, a feeling which I was far too familiar with by that point. After sending the deposit, I instantly felt unsettled. I was worried if I had made the right decision, and if not, if I should 'cut my losses' before spending an additional £250 with the remaining ticket sale and general expenses of attending. I wanted to stick to my decision, and went about the rest of my evening getting ready for the festival, although I was not 100% decided on going. I stopped frequently whilst getting prepared, because I was tired, once again stressed, and reconsidered going or staying. I had little sleep the following night. Waking, and still feeling anxious, I decided not to go the festival. This was because I had already seen many of the acts performing recently at an alternative festival which did not involve camping, and because I wasn't comfortable in letting go of an extra £250. After cancelling, I am now sat at home, on my own, without any plans for the coming 3 days (4 days including today) off work. Do I regret not going? Part of me does regret not going, yes. But, the grass is always greener on the other side. In truth, I wasn't comfortable with the price, even though I am now £100 less and with nothing to show for it. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not try and book anything up last minute, even if you can still 'make it'. Will I be having as much fun at home as I would be at a festival? Definitely not. But, the fact remains, it was too last minute, good idea or not.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Dan1298
Hello,
So this isn't necessarily a question, but more so a blog post.
For the past somewhat 3 months, I have been pulling my hair out about trying to decide what I am going to do in September. My options were taking an 11-month gap year of travel, or enrol in university. Except for a one week in Greece, and a two day festival, I spent my entire summer stressing, day in day out.
Anyhow, yesterday, I had made my decision. But, I was also considering going to Creamfields North, even though it was already Thursday, and I would be going tomorrow, and I did not yet have any tickets. I was not going to buy any tickets until I had made a decision on September plans.
I checked Thursday evening, and disappointingly, there weren't any re-sale tickets left. I thought it couldn't get any worse. But, then, later that night, I was checking Facebook and found someone selling £260 tickets for £300. Nervously, I brought them, sending the seller a £100 deposit. I was nervous, not because I was buying them second-hand, but because it was all very last-minute and stressful, a feeling which I was far too familiar with by that point. After sending the deposit, I instantly felt unsettled. I was worried if I had made the right decision, and if not, if I should 'cut my losses' before spending an additional £250 with the remaining ticket sale and general expenses of attending. I wanted to stick to my decision, and went about the rest of my evening getting ready for the festival, although I was not 100% decided on going. I stopped frequently whilst getting prepared, because I was tired, once again stressed, and reconsidered going or staying. I had little sleep the following night. Waking, and still feeling anxious, I decided not to go the festival. This was because I had already seen many of the acts performing recently at an alternative festival which did not involve camping, and because I wasn't comfortable in letting go of an extra £250. After cancelling, I am now sat at home, on my own, without any plans for the coming 3 days (4 days including today) off work. Do I regret not going? Part of me does regret not going, yes. But, the grass is always greener on the other side. In truth, I wasn't comfortable with the price, even though I am now £100 less and with nothing to show for it. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not try and book anything up last minute, even if you can still 'make it'. Will I be having as much fun at home as I would be at a festival? Definitely not. But, the fact remains, it was too last minute, good idea or not.

Sounds like a sensible decision if you weren't too sure of it!

Can I just check are you going to be keeping a blog in this thread? If so I'll leave it in the blog forum, if not I'll move it to a more relevant forum :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Sounds like a sensible decision if you weren't too sure of it!

Can I just check are you going to be keeping a blog in this thread? If so I'll leave it in the blog forum, if not I'll move it to a more relevant forum :smile:

yes, you can move it to a blog forum if you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending