The Student Room Group

Do A Level Grades matter once you are at University?

Just to give some context I have grades ABC. The C being in Maths.
I want to do a Maths degree because I enjoyed it and didn't do as well due to some personal problems during my A levels.

I'm also interested in the Accountancy, banking and finance sectors.
So do my grades matter when applying for things like spring weeks, internships or graduate schemes? Is it worth retaking my Maths A level or is it a waste of time?
Original post by beatricehalley
Just to give some context I have grades ABC. The C being in Maths.
I want to do a Maths degree because I enjoyed it and didn't do as well due to some personal problems during my A levels.

I'm also interested in the Accountancy, banking and finance sectors.
So do my grades matter when applying for things like spring weeks, internships or graduate schemes? Is it worth retaking my Maths A level or is it a waste of time?

It doesn't matter, firms that filter on A levels are filtering because they want to see a trajectory. You can't recover that trajectory, you can only show a different one by getting a strong degree alongside good workplace skills.
What do you mean by
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't recover that trajectory,

Do you mean you need to have succeeded in the first attempt and resits are not counted?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by beatricehalley
What do you mean by

Do you mean you need to have succeeded in the first attempt and resits are not counted?

For the competitive careers that use A levels as a filter - yes. Though that's not nearly as many as TSR seems to think. Degrees are harder than A levels, success in a degree is a better marker of ability than A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending