The Student Room Group

Adult Learner Roadblocks

I'm sure that this isn't just me, so I wanted to make a thread. Why is it that adult learners (or mature students) have to jump through hoops that vaguely resemble those shock collars for dogs that supposedly got banned?

Every time I try to get one more step ahead to a later education, I'm reminded of every last time I tried. It's like I'm being trained to fear education all over again. The fees are open water, the loan sharks are in the bay, and local colleges take pictures of your beached whale body. It's ridiculous - why is it so difficult to get a qualification?

The Open University seems to be the only compassionate school that puts its whole chest into getting people educated, regardless of their past or their income. They aren't sponsoring me but, yeah, I need the money. If you don't mind.

Have any other adult learners felt this mountain rise up against them? How did you tackle it? Did you ever reach the summit and, in all honesty, was it worth the view?

Melancholiest (don't bother, I know it's not a word, I'm too tired to argue) regards

LK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending