The Student Room Group

How do I prevent my mum finding out about something?

Like it might make her want to go to the GP or call an ambulance
Reply 1
Or maybe a mental health team
Reply 2
Let's just say she sees me naked at least once a month and that's how she will see it
Based on what you’ve mentioned, it sounds like you have been self-harming. Should that be the case, here are some resources that may help. There are many different avenues that you can explore to express whatever you are going through, but the most important thing is to let other people know so that they can help you.

Instead of trying to hide it from your mum for as long as possible, it would be better if you planned a conversation and opened up to her in confidence (if she is someone that you can confide in). If not, I would suggest that you do the same thing with a trusted adult or at the very least, seek free online counselling.

The first step opening up is the hardest. Once you overcome that step, things will get better.

Wishing you all the best.
Reply 4
Original post by SagaciousSag
Based on what you’ve mentioned, it sounds like you have been self-harming. Should that be the case, here are some resources that may help. There are many different avenues that you can explore to express whatever you are going through, but the most important thing is to let other people know so that they can help you.

Instead of trying to hide it from your mum for as long as possible, it would be better if you planned a conversation and opened up to her in confidence (if she is someone that you can confide in). If not, I would suggest that you do the same thing with a trusted adult or at the very least, seek free online counselling.

The first step opening up is the hardest. Once you overcome that step, things will get better.

Wishing you all the best.

It makes me feel better even if it's for a split 10 seconds. I don't want to stop. I always start and stop, as in I did when I was 12/13 then stopped and started at 17 and now at 22 started again. I didn't need counselling to help me stop. And I would tell you more like sometimes I wish I wasn't here and self harming would take me away from the world because sometimes it can turn life threatening but for some reason I am still here.
Original post by Anonymous
It makes me feel better even if it's for a split 10 seconds. I don't want to stop. I always start and stop, as in I did when I was 12/13 then stopped and started at 17 and now at 22 started again. I didn't need counselling to help me stop. And I would tell you more like sometimes I wish I wasn't here and self harming would take me away from the world because sometimes it can turn life threatening but for some reason I am still here.

There are other things that you can do to process your emotions without hurting yourself, and they might last longer than the initial but brief feeling of control. Have you ever sought counselling? When the emotions build up, have you screamed in or punched a pillow? Used a stress ball? Tried to articulate how you’re feeling either through a voice recording, letter or diary? If not, these are avenues that I would suggest.

When going about your day, you could also try self-care techniques like meditation, yoga, baths or long showers and sitting outside in nature when the weather isn’t too bad. If there is a specific problem that causes you more stress from time, you could try looking for ways to fix it or reducing its impact. Because this has been happening for quite a while, I would also suggest seeing a GP about this.

If you feel like you need to escape the world every once in a while, nature is what I think is best. You could also delve into a series or read a book to give you a temporary reprieve from your problems. However, self-harming is not the best solution. If you’re reading this, consider some of the things I’ve mentioned, even if you think it’ll be useless.

Hope this helps.
No one can force you to stop but at least make sure you're doing it in the safest way possible

I know it sounds silly but preventing infections and mimising any long-term damage is the most important thing you can do initially
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending