The Student Room Group

Ex wants to hang out

Basically my ex and I dated for about two and a half years and still share accommodation together. He’s been away since the break up for placement but is coming back for the last month of uni. We ended on good terms and he wants to hang out the first night he comes back. To me, I’ve been moving on and it feels a bit weird to do that. However, because we ended on good terms and promised we’d be friends I don’t wanna say no and hurt his feelings. I don’t know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically my ex and I dated for about two and a half years and still share accommodation together. He’s been away since the break up for placement but is coming back for the last month of uni. We ended on good terms and he wants to hang out the first night he comes back. To me, I’ve been moving on and it feels a bit weird to do that. However, because we ended on good terms and promised we’d be friends I don’t wanna say no and hurt his feelings. I don’t know what to do.

Hi there!

As you have ended this on good terms, I would treat this similar to any other relationship you have with someone. If you did not fancy meeting up with them because you did not feel entirely comfortable with that, then you should not feel obligated to do so. Perhaps you could respond by offering to meet up another time but wit a group of friends to feel less uncomfortable and in a controlled environment.

It takes time to heal from that kind of thing and if you are not ready to move on to that stage of friendship for a little while, then your ex should respect that. It is okay to tell the truth or to explain that you are not available that day and would rather meet another time.

I hope this helps and whatever you choose to do goes well. Good luck!

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending