The Student Room Group

MPhil- Engineering application without hearing back from a supervisor

Hi Guys,
I have contacted a potnetial supervisot for my MPhil applciation, I have an idea on mind that I'd like to explore more in a MPhill Thesis and figured out that the supervisor research group alligns with my interests.
So, I have emailed the supervisot but I didn't heared back from him , it is been almost a week now .
btw I am considering MPhil in Engineering appication , so I was wondering if it is ok if I submitted an applciation without having a confirmation from a suoervisor ?
I noted that that the offical website rongly recommends to secure an approval from a supervisor first since not all are willing to accepet MPhil applcants ? I am worried now as I don't want to miss the funding deadline but at the same time I am afraid if I apply without haveing a upervisorm the applciation may be withdrawn, what are your thoguhts guys ?
Original post by abbadi12
Hi Guys,
I have contacted a potnetial supervisot for my MPhil applciation, I have an idea on mind that I'd like to explore more in a MPhill Thesis and figured out that the supervisor research group alligns with my interests.
So, I have emailed the supervisot but I didn't heared back from him , it is been almost a week now .
btw I am considering MPhil in Engineering appication , so I was wondering if it is ok if I submitted an applciation without having a confirmation from a suoervisor ?
I noted that that the offical website rongly recommends to secure an approval from a supervisor first since not all are willing to accepet MPhil applcants ? I am worried now as I don't want to miss the funding deadline but at the same time I am afraid if I apply without haveing a upervisorm the applciation may be withdrawn, what are your thoguhts guys ?

Thinking you might get an answer from a potential Supervisor, in under a week, at the start of October, is madness! It's the start of the academic year, applicants for next year are the last thing on their mind.
Original post by abbadi12
Hi Guys,

Supervisors are often busy so may miss / not prioritize speculative applications. Id follow up with a concise email one more time (including a line about the deadline) asking for 15 minutes (and be clear what you want supervision for & why you have chosen them specifically).

If they don’t reply- it is what it is, probably better off looking at alternative supervisor opportunities.
Sorry to hear this. Have you applied to other universities?
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Thinking you might get an answer from a potential Supervisor, in under a week, at the start of October, is madness! It's the start of the academic year, applicants for next year are the last thing on their mind.

Thanks,
Yes I'd assume this is the case as well , but well fingers are crossed still got some time..
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Supervisors are often busy so may miss / not prioritize speculative applications. Id follow up with a concise email one more time (including a line about the deadline) asking for 15 minutes (and be clear what you want supervision for & why you have chosen them specifically).

If they don’t reply- it is what it is, probably better off looking at alternative supervisor opportunities.

yes I am thinking of sending a reminder after copule of days, I got sometime before 9 Dec which is the fundign deadline so figners are crossed..
Reply 6
Original post by ABBAForever2015
Sorry to hear this. Have you applied to other universities?

Thanks,
I am considering imperial college as well ,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending