The Student Room Group

Lack of support

I failed an assessed placement on one professional value, I have passed every single other thing for the entire year. I have been having some personal issues and submitted an ECF which was approved. I have now been given the date of my retrieval placement with 3 days notice, I dont know where it is or for how long but I have children and its not as easy to just drop everything. I assume if I cant do this placement at the time they have stated I will fail the year.
Original post by Tumbleweed3
I failed an assessed placement on one professional value, I have passed every single other thing for the entire year. I have been having some personal issues and submitted an ECF which was approved. I have now been given the date of my retrieval placement with 3 days notice, I dont know where it is or for how long but I have children and its not as easy to just drop everything. I assume if I cant do this placement at the time they have stated I will fail the year.

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear your predicament. I think if I were in your position I would be contacting my lead or academic tutor for a discussion about the logistics of the placement as you have not been given enough information especially since you have children. Surely they must take into account if you are unable to do the placement due to care duties.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you pass the retrieval placement.

Rachel - YSJ student rep
Reply 2
They have been aware of my difficult circumstances since November last year and I am so proud of myself that even with all the stress I am under I managed to pass everything else expected of me. My failed placement was discussed by the module lead and he said he didn’t agree with the comments or the failed status but said it couldn’t be changed.
I feel like I’m faced with if you don’t do this placement you won’t be going into your final year
They have been aware of my difficult circumstances since November last year and I am so proud of myself that even with all the stress I am under I managed to pass everything else expected of me. My failed placement was discussed by the module lead and he said he didn’t agree with the comments or the failed status but said it couldn’t be changed.
I feel like I’m faced with if you don’t do this placement you won’t be going into your final year

You should be proud of yourself, I'm sure that it has been very difficult thus far. Surely, if the module lead was in support of you passing but could not change the ultimate 'grade', then they would be more lenient for you to decide when you are available for the placement to commence? It is understandable that the placement should be passed before you can continue to your final year.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
@Tumbleweed3

Is it possible to find your own placement?

You could then look for one that is near you. It could make it easier with family commitments.

Hope it all works out,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 5
Original post by Rachel_ysj
You should be proud of yourself, I'm sure that it has been very difficult thus far. Surely, if the module lead was in support of you passing but could not change the ultimate 'grade', then they would be more lenient for you to decide when you are available for the placement to commence? It is understandable that the placement should be passed before you can continue to your final year.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Hi thanks for your reply, I feel like I am getting no support from anyone at all. Nobody seems to give me a clear answer as to what my options are. We were offered two dates for additional placement to make up hours, I selected a date which was do able for me around childcare to then be told the BoE say you have to go out as of Monday. Is there any way I can appeal this or ask if it is possible for me to do it a few weeks later? If someone had explained to me that this would likely be the course of action I would have had ample time to prepare and arrange childcare, the placement I have just finished could have been changed into an assessed placement and I wouldn't be in this situation.
I feel so upset that they are "crying out" for nurses but make the degree so difficult, I have passed everything else apart from this one professional value, I am devastated to think that if I cant work out childcare I assume I will fail the year and have to repeat it.
Do the module leads actually have any influence regarding BoE?

Hi,

So sorry to hear about what you've had to face. Firstly, you've accomplished a lot so far which is something to be proud of. Also, you could try asking if it's possible for them to make some adjustments for when it would be best for you. You can also try asking for more details to fill in the blank spaces to know your next plan. Also, your university should have a student support that offers advice and help that you can go to. With your situation, they should try to be more understanding. I hope you get this helps and you issue is resolved!

Benedicta,
Digital Ambassador-UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending