The Student Room Group

Noisy flatmates in the middle of the night in lifestyle moderate accommodation

Hello, as the title suggests I’m struggling with noisy flatmates at night. I’m in moderate living because of my autism where you are supposed to be quiet past 10pm. Some of my flatmates like to talk to eachother in the kitchen which isn’t an issue except they stay there, talking loudly (screaming, shouting, laughing loudly, sometimes even running down the hallways!) until as late as 4am. I have messaged them and even confronted them twice now about this but they won’t stop and it’s stopping me from sleeping!! I’ve tried earplugs and they aren’t enough. For reference, my room is directly opposite the kitchen. What should I do?? I don’t want to be rude since I already suspect they don’t like me very much and I don’t want to make enemies!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, as the title suggests I’m struggling with noisy flatmates at night. I’m in moderate living because of my autism where you are supposed to be quiet past 10pm. Some of my flatmates like to talk to eachother in the kitchen which isn’t an issue except they stay there, talking loudly (screaming, shouting, laughing loudly, sometimes even running down the hallways!) until as late as 4am. I have messaged them and even confronted them twice now about this but they won’t stop and it’s stopping me from sleeping!! I’ve tried earplugs and they aren’t enough. For reference, my room is directly opposite the kitchen. What should I do?? I don’t want to be rude since I already suspect they don’t like me very much and I don’t want to make enemies!!

Talk with your accommodation office. They might be able to arrange for you to move to a different flat / block, or may just be more successful at pointing out that your flatmates are in breach of the "quiet past 10pm" rule.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with this. It's a hard balance but I'd agree with the above and suggest chatting to your accommodation office and just saying that you're struggling with the noise and see if they can move you. They're there to help.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Talk with your accommodation office. They might be able to arrange for you to move to a different flat / block, or may just be more successful at pointing out that your flatmates are in breach of the "quiet past 10pm" rule.

That wouldn’t work because I applied specifically to be in the same flat as two of my friends (not the noisy ones) and I really don’t want to leave them!
Original post by Anonymous
That wouldn’t work because I applied specifically to be in the same flat as two of my friends (not the noisy ones) and I really don’t want to leave them!

When you say,"That wouldn’t work...", are you including the bit where I said:
Talk with your accommodation office. They ... may just be more successful at pointing out that your flatmates are in breach of the "quiet past 10pm" rule.
Reply 5
When you say,"That wouldn’t work...", are you including the bit where I said:

No I’m not! Im just worried that if I report them they will know it was me and it will make everything awkward also if the solution is to move I really don’t want to be separated from my friends. I messaged them again today though and they denied making noise so I think I have to report them since it’s not going anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending