The Student Room Group

Really struggling with final year

I'm really hating everything about university this year and really not coping. One of my flatmates is really cold and unkind I've tried to talk and fix things that's not happened so my living situation is so draining everyday. Then there's so much work it's so hard to understand things and keep on top of everything and fighting to get up early everyday to go to the library and finding the time to cook and do grocery shopping. And then I just have no one to talk to as I don't really have friends I can talk to about things and the one or two I thought I had are so busy now. And my actual friends back home are extremely busy so can't call all the time. And everyone keeps saying there's 5 months left but there's only 2 weeks left of this term right now and I'm struggling to just get through these weeks they feel so long and painful and I have to dry my tears in my lectures. I've requested a counselling appointment but there'll be a wait. Thanks for reading all this I appreciate it.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm really hating everything about university this year and really not coping. One of my flatmates is really cold and unkind I've tried to talk and fix things that's not happened so my living situation is so draining everyday. Then there's so much work it's so hard to understand things and keep on top of everything and fighting to get up early everyday to go to the library and finding the time to cook and do grocery shopping. And then I just have no one to talk to as I don't really have friends I can talk to about things and the one or two I thought I had are so busy now. And my actual friends back home are extremely busy so can't call all the time. And everyone keeps saying there's 5 months left but there's only 2 weeks left of this term right now and I'm struggling to just get through these weeks they feel so long and painful and I have to dry my tears in my lectures. I've requested a counselling appointment but there'll be a wait. Thanks for reading all this I appreciate it.

Hi, I'm sorry that you're feeling this way and I understand how overwhelming it can be. I'm a final year undergraduate at SOAS. It might be really to write it all down and journal to help navigate some of your thoughts, as well as write down everything you have to do and break it down into chunks, allocating time in your routine to complete each thing, taking each day as it comes and achieving a few tasks each day. Hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey, thank you for expressing how you feel and for reaching out on here. I'm glad to hear you've requested a counselling appointment as well, is this with your university or through your GP? I hope you hear back from them as soon as possible as speaking to people about how you're feeling can really help.

I'm sorry to hear about your flatmate being cold and unkind towards you, well done for trying to make amends with them as living situations can really impact your well-being. If things don't improve could you maybe speak to your uni's accommodation services or student support for some guidance or any alternative solutions?

It's so important to have a work life balance so you're not feeling burnt out, but that's easier said than done I know! Even just incorporating little changes in your routine may help such as breaking tasks down into smaller steps and then ordering them in order of importance, and going through and ticking them off one by one from most important to least important. I'd also recommend reaching out to academic advisors and support at your uni, I know when I was in my final year I decided to get help through them and go through essays and my dissertation and really get on track with my work and working style.

Are your friends busy with their studies? Could you suggest you all go study together in the library or a coffee shop? Then afterwards you can suggest you all go grab some food, or go for a walk or something, then you can all be busy together but still be around one another and ensure you keep in touch. Or perhaps you could look into joining a new club or society, getting involved in volunteer work, becoming an ambassador?

[start]I'd say to just take things one step at a time, you don't have to have everything figured out right now, it's a new process to adjust to. Just keep reaching out to loved ones, reach out to support at your university, you're not alone in this. Good luck with the rest of your university journey :smile:[/start]

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending