The Student Room Group

Suspending the year for physical health

Has anyone suspended their studies because of their physical health? Did you regret it? Are you glad you did it? Anything you think I need to consider that I may not have thought about?

I've just been diagnosed with a chronic illness and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Currently in 2nd year and considering suspending to go back in September after I have started new meds and hopefully got my symptoms under control.
Thank you
Sorry to hear you are suffering the main thing is to do what makes you happy if you feel you are too ill to continue then maybe take a break until next year . It depends on the type of chronic illness you are suffering from do your symptoms affect your studies ?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Sorry to hear you are suffering the main thing is to do what makes you happy if you feel you are too ill to continue then maybe take a break until next year . It depends on the type of chronic illness you are suffering from do your symptoms affect your studies ?

Yes, my symptoms are mainly chronic fatigue and I nearly faint whenever I stand up. I'd try to do part-time uni if I had the option, but mine doesn't offer it.
I know most uni students struggle when they get behind, but I dont want to burn myself out to catch up, never actually catch up, and then end up doing the same thing over and over. Its just a big decision to make
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yes, my symptoms are mainly chronic fatigue and I nearly faint whenever I stand up. I'd try to do part-time uni if I had the option, but mine doesn't offer it.
I know most uni students struggle when they get behind, but I dont want to burn myself out to catch up, never actually catch up, and then end up doing the same thing over and over. Its just a big decision to make

It is a big decision to make but entirely upto you depending on how you feel. I suffered from a chronic illness whilst studying at college which made it difficult for me as friends would ask questions but I carried on and focused on getting my symptoms under control over the holidays. I feel as though i would have regrets if I'd of suspended my studies as I would have felt behind compared with everyone else . Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
It is a big decision to make but entirely upto you depending on how you feel. I suffered from a chronic illness whilst studying at college which made it difficult for me as friends would ask questions but I carried on and focused on getting my symptoms under control over the holidays. I feel as though i would have regrets if I'd of suspended my studies as I would have felt behind compared with everyone else . Hope this helps.

Christmas break is coming up but i am already very behind. Its just hard to know whether your version of bad is 'bad enough' to take time off. I'm supposed to start meds soon but at that point will be even further behind. Thank you for your advice and experience
Christmas break is coming up but i am already very behind. Its just hard to know whether your version of bad is 'bad enough' to take time off. I'm supposed to start meds soon but at that point will be even further behind. Thank you for your advice and experience

It really is upto you and how you feel . I suffered from chronic stomach problems which was tough to deal with especially when studying. Some days my stomach would rumble all day or I would be in the bathroom morning and break times with diarrhoea . I did miss the odd day but not often only when I felt really bad . Hopefully you are feeling better soon.
Reply 6
I think it's all about the individual physical nature of body that how to maintain healthy and how much workout would be good ...

Yeah, the danger to burn out and never get the chance to enjoy your degree, at least as much as you can is very high. And just because you suspend a year, does not mean, you have to retreat socially or are not allowed to open a book! Just from my general life experience: it is sometimes smarter to take it slow, to be faster in the long run. 🙂 (Or at least happier.)

Quick Reply

Latest