The Student Room Group

Interruption

Hi

I’m considering interrupting my studies due to my mental health, which has impacted my performance.

I’ve spoken to lectures, and my tutor and they advised me that the best option would be interrupt my studies based on my situation.

My course is 3 years, but I completed placement year, which makes the course 4 years. During placement year I received some support from SFE. I’m in my final year now.

Before my current university, I studied 1 semester at another university, that means I used up my additional gift year.

if I interrupt now, would it still be possibly to receive some financial support for e.g., accommodation?
Original post by Dwight018
Hi

I’m considering interrupting my studies due to my mental health, which has impacted my performance.

I’ve spoken to lectures, and my tutor and they advised me that the best option would be interrupt my studies based on my situation.

My course is 3 years, but I completed placement year, which makes the course 4 years. During placement year I received some support from SFE. I’m in my final year now.

Before my current university, I studied 1 semester at another university, that means I used up my additional gift year.

if I interrupt now, would it still be possibly to receive some financial support for e.g., accommodation?
Hi there,

Normally, when you suspend your studies you won't be entitled to any further payments from us, unfortunately.

However, if your university tells us that you've suspended due to health reasons you'll be awarded an additional 60 days of funding. That can greatly reduce any overpayment that occurs, or you may be entitled to an additional payment: it depends on the date you suspended.

It's up to your university to decide if they class you as suspending on health grounds, so it's definitely worth asking them if they'll do this.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Normally, when you suspend your studies you won't be entitled to any further payments from us, unfortunately.

However, if your university tells us that you've suspended due to health reasons you'll be awarded an additional 60 days of funding. That can greatly reduce any overpayment that occurs, or you may be entitled to an additional payment: it depends on the date you suspended.

It's up to your university to decide if they class you as suspending on health grounds, so it's definitely worth asking them if they'll do this.

Thanks, Graeme
Thank you for replying.

To elaborate. I'm suspending my studies due to depression and OCD/anxiety and I will be coming back the next academic year, to complete my degree.

Does that mean I can't even request an additional year based on compelling personal reasons (CPR)?

Thank you.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Dwight018
Thank you for replying.

To elaborate. I'm suspending my studies due to depression and OCD/anxiety and I will be coming back the next academic year, to complete my degree.

Does that mean I can't even request an additional year based on compelling personal reasons (CPR)?

Thank you.

Yes, definitely - you'll be entitled to the Maintenance Loan for the repeat automatically, that will be fine.

And yes, if you show evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) you will be awarded the Tuition Fee Loan too.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending