The Student Room Group

Did a completely wrong unit/module during the first term of my Second year, HELP!

Hi

So I've started my second year (Animation) and ended up doing the completely wrong module/unit on my first term because of a mix up on my end (I asked my tutor, he said I was doing the that unit I'm currently doing however he had no idea what actual units I was actually assigned until now and I realised I was doing the wrong one)

What do I do now?

Am I going to fail or would I need to do a resit?

I'm so ****ing stupid for getting a simple thing like this all mixed up like that

I'm so anxious right now and can't help beating myself up about it.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me and why I just keep making stupid and careless mistakes and bad decisions time and time again.

I'm currently on a waiting list for ADHD or maybe another disability so it could be a contributing factor to it all but it'll probably be a while and effort till I get an official diagnosis.

Any help would be much appreciated:smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Rpgfangal777
Hi

So I've started my second year (Animation) and ended up doing the completely wrong module/unit on my first term because of a mix up on my end (I asked my tutor, he said I was doing the that unit I'm currently doing however he had no idea what actual units I was actually assigned until now and I realised I was doing the wrong one)

What do I do now?

I'm so ****ing stupid for getting a simple thing like this all mixed up like that

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me and why I just keep making stupid and careless mistakes and bad decisions time and time again.

I'm currently on a waiting list for ADHD or maybe another disability so it could be a contributing factor to it all but it'll probably be a while and effort till I get an official diagnosis.

Hi @Rpgfangal777 ,

I am sorry to hear there has been a mix up. I know it is easier said than done but these things happen so please do not beat yourself up about it.

It is great that you have reached out to your tutor, is there a head of school/division that you can contact to get this resolved asap? Your tutor may be able to signpost you with this.

All the best and I hope it gets resolved soon.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Rpgfangal777 ,

I am sorry to hear there has been a mix up. I know it is easier said than done but these things happen so please do not beat yourself up about it.

It is great that you have reached out to your tutor, is there a head of school/division that you can contact to get this resolved asap? Your tutor may be able to signpost you with this.

All the best and I hope it gets resolved soon.

Alia

Thank you so much, you're so kind

I'm dreading the next 2 weeks just before the end of this term.

As I was doing the wrong unit and assignments, I'm most likely going to fail due to non-submission or something similar and I'm not sure if my uni will let me resit it (maybe over the summer) or make me retake the whole year over again (I really don't want that).

My tutor is currently trying to speak to the admins about what could happen next and that's definitely making me nervous 😓
Hi

What do I do now?

I mean, while it is your responsibility to a large point, your personal tutor also should have identified this earlier, especially when you asked, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning. So I think there is definitely some blame to be shared with the uni in this case...

This is really something you need to liaise with your personal tutor and your course coordinator to figure out how it will shake out.
(edited 4 months ago)
Thank you so much, you're so kind

I'm dreading the next 2 weeks just before the end of this term.

As I was doing the wrong unit and assignments, I'm most likely going to fail due to non-submission or something similar and I'm not sure if my uni will let me resit it (maybe over the summer) or make me retake the whole year over again (I really don't want that).

My tutor is currently trying to speak to the admins about what could happen next and that's definitely making me nervous 😓

Hi @Rpgfangal777 ,

I am sorry to hear that you re feeling really nervous, it must be very tough waiting. It is great to hear your tutor is on the case and is helping you find out.

Can you see admin in person? This may speed up the process of you finding out what you can do.

I hope you find out soon.

Alia
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean, while it is your responsibility to a large point, your personal tutor also should have identified this earlier, especially when you asked, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning. So I think there is definitely some blame to be shared with the uni in this case...

This is really something you need to liaise with your personal tutor and your course coordinator to figure out how it will shake out.

Yeah it was my fault mostly. I thought my Tutor already knew what courses I was supposed to be doing but now realised I'm the only one that's supposed to and we'll I ****ed that up .

I'm currently talking to my tutor and will see him in person, he doesn't have much say in that however he's going to speak to the head of department and the course- coordinator on what could happen next
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Rpgfangal777 ,

I am sorry to hear that you re feeling really nervous, it must be very tough waiting. It is great to hear your tutor is on the case and is helping you find out.

Can you see admin in person? This may speed up the process of you finding out what you can do.

I hope you find out soon.

Alia

Hi may I ask

Let's say you fail a few modules or a whole unit (like I just did mistakenly) are students able to resit it later by any chance or is that not possible at all and I'll end up failing the whole thing?
Yeah it was my fault mostly. I thought my Tutor already knew what courses I was supposed to be doing but now realised I'm the only one that's supposed to and we'll I ****ed that up .

I'm currently talking to my tutor and will see him in person, he doesn't have much say in that however he's going to speak to the head of department and the course- coordinator on what could happen next

I mean your tutor should know this? Or at least, have the facility to find out for you. So once you raised it, they should have flagged that there was an issue. And one might have thought at least at some point during this term one of the lecturers/tutors would have identified you were doing something completely on a different track and worked with you to course correct earlier?

In any event they're the ones that are going to find out exactly how things will work out. It's a pretty unusual situation I think.
Hi may I ask

Let's say you fail a few modules or a whole unit (like I just did mistakenly) are students able to resit it later by any chance or is that not possible at all and I'll end up failing the whole thing?

Totally dependent on the individual uni and course regulations. There isn't any universal answer to this.
Hi

What do I do now?

Is it part of units you should do later?
Reply 10
I mean your tutor should know this? Or at least, have the facility to find out for you. So once you raised it, they should have flagged that there was an issue. And one might have thought at least at some point during this term one of the lecturers/tutors would have identified you were doing something completely on a different track and worked with you to course correct earlier?

In any event they're the ones that are going to find out exactly how things will work out. It's a pretty unusual situation I think.

I'm honestly not to sure, I don't think they're expected to know to be honest or maybe it's just me.

Now I have to deal with the fact that I missed one assignment that was due a month ago while trying to the other so I can at least submit something in. Its likely it won't go well
Reply 11
Original post by KimsonGared.
Is it part of units you should do later?

I honestly don't know I might ask my tutors for that at somepoint
I'm honestly not to sure, I don't think they're expected to know to be honest or maybe it's just me.

Now I have to deal with the fact that I missed one assignment that was due a month ago while trying to the other so I can at least submit something in. Its likely it won't go well

Well check with your tutor if you can submit the missed one late - usually up to a certain point you can submit it late and just get capped marks on it. Although after one month it might be too late.
Hi may I ask

Hi @Rpgfangal777,

As @artful_lounger mentioned, it may be different from university to university.

Continue to talk to your tutor and you would probably get a better answer asking them this question.

All the best and sorry this was not the answer you were probably looking for!

Alia
Reply 14
Well check with your tutor if you can submit the missed one late - usually up to a certain point you can submit it late and just get capped marks on it. Although after one month it might be too late.

Today I spoke to him (he's also the course leader/co-ordinator) apparently he said its alright since the presentations haven't been marked yet and I showed him the presentation that I completed a few days ago.

He says it's fine and answers the brief and to just hand it in which I did earlier through email and he also just told me to get the essay done that's due in next week and hand that in on time which I'll definitely do, no doubt about it.

If something bad happens related to this, I'm not sure what the hell I'll do
Reply 15
I'd say talk to your tutor ASAP, explain the mix-up, and see if there's any way to sort things out. They might have a solution or advice on how to proceed without it affecting your grades too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending