The Student Room Group

Student finance-2nd time

I would like to study a 5 yr degree in medicine, I already had student finance for two years on a previous course which was not a degree (certificate in education) student finance told me they give everyone a total of five years funding, so I have 3 years left , and I'm able to pay the tuition fees for the remaining two years, but not living costs and accommodation. My question is loads of people study 2nd degrees and even third degrees and don't self fund them, how do people get round this one?
Original post by LJ1989
I would like to study a 5 yr degree in medicine, I already had student finance for two years on a previous course which was not a degree (certificate in education) student finance told me they give everyone a total of five years funding, so I have 3 years left , and I'm able to pay the tuition fees for the remaining two years, but not living costs and accommodation. My question is loads of people study 2nd degrees and even third degrees and don't self fund them, how do people get round this one?

Hi there,

Was your previous study full-time? Do you know when you plan to begin this new course?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Was your previous study full-time? Do you know when you plan to begin this new course?

Thanks, Graeme

No it was part time one evening per week. Plan to begin the course in 2026/27 I have an access course to complete first
Hi LJ1989,

The only full time courses that are exceptions to the standard previous study rules where you can be eligible for a tuition fee loan for another course if you already have a degree are Allied Health Professional courses.

The people you mentioned may have previously studied but not gained a qualification so are eligible to apply for additional years of tuition fee funding if they have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence

There are also numerous courses that are exceptions to the previous study rules if they are studied part time, such as Open University courses

Moreover, part time previous study is not taken into account for new full time courses so you should be eligible for tuition and maintenance funding for your new medicine course if it is studied full time as you mentioned that you studied your certificate in education on a part time basis

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 4
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi LJ1989,

The only full time courses that are exceptions to the standard previous study rules where you can be eligible for a tuition fee loan for another course if you already have a degree are Allied Health Professional courses.

The people you mentioned may have previously studied but not gained a qualification so are eligible to apply for additional years of tuition fee funding if they have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence

There are also numerous courses that are exceptions to the previous study rules if they are studied part time, such as Open University courses

Moreover, part time previous study is not taken into account for new full time courses so you should be eligible for tuition and maintenance funding for your new medicine course if it is studied full time as you mentioned that you studied your certificate in education on a part time basis

Thanks,
Calum

That's a relief thank you. Is there an income threshold to be eligible for finance? I have been self employed for over ten years, also own my own home, would any of these factors affect my eligibility. Thankyou for your replies it's much appreciated Calum.
Original post by LJ1989
That's a relief thank you. Is there an income threshold to be eligible for finance? I have been self employed for over ten years, also own my own home, would any of these factors affect my eligibility. Thankyou for your replies it's much appreciated Calum.

Hi there,

How old are you? What is your current Marital status? We do not take your own income into consideration. Thanks, Ross
Reply 6
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,

How old are you? What is your current Marital status? We do not take your own income into consideration. Thanks, Ross

Im 34 single no dependents
Original post by LJ1989
Im 34 single no dependents

Hi there. Thanks, we wouldn't' take your income into account The only income we use take into account for students' is unearned income. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending