The Student Room Group

Is this right?

Is it right for a supervisor to judge you about your personality?

I was criticised for not engaging with the team during a social event. I'm a quiet person and I like to observe and listen to others.

I found this deeply personal and hurtful thing to say.

any thoughts?
Hi there,

It honestly depends how harsh they were. As a supervisor, they are there to help you improve your skills. They can't expect you to be absolutely perfect. Everyone has their own flaws. In fact, being observant and a good listener is a great skill to possess, but it is also equally important to ensure you are engaging with the team too. Nevertheless, you also need a good team to engage with too. Sometimes I find it difficult, when I'm in a team full of people who like to just shout at each other expecting each others attention, rather than even listening to each other. Working in a team means you all have to compromise and listen to each other. However if everyone's just shouting at each other and not listening at all, then it is clearly difficult to communicate and engage with your team.
Overall, it really depends on the context.

(And also, just because they are your supervisor does not necessarily mean they're always right, nor are they always wrong either.)

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending