The Student Room Group

Possible Overpayment to SFE

Hiya,

Wondering if you can help
Began an Access to HE degree in 2020, and applied for a loan as per process. Unfortunately due to the pandemic and various other personal issues, (not withstanding a full mental breakdown that I had to be moved half way across the country so family could keep an eye on me) I began to stop attending in several weeks in January 2021 before I made the decision to leave, in feb 2021 as I was in a bad, bad way.

For some reason, it has only stood out to me now, looking at my current payslip, to go and look at my SFE. I realise that despite the college agreeing to talk to SFE and me sending a letter to SFE, that I have an outstanding amount of over £4k (inc. interest) when the student loan was £3969.50 for the whole course. Realistically, SFE were paying the college £338.40 per month for my tuition, so really my loan should've only been £1,692. I have already repaid £600 through PAYE.

Am I able to contest this? surely, (bar interest) I should only have around £1092 left. How do I deal with this going forward?

Thanks!
Original post by taymay61
Hiya,

Wondering if you can help
Began an Access to HE degree in 2020, and applied for a loan as per process. Unfortunately due to the pandemic and various other personal issues, (not withstanding a full mental breakdown that I had to be moved half way across the country so family could keep an eye on me) I began to stop attending in several weeks in January 2021 before I made the decision to leave, in feb 2021 as I was in a bad, bad way.

For some reason, it has only stood out to me now, looking at my current payslip, to go and look at my SFE. I realise that despite the college agreeing to talk to SFE and me sending a letter to SFE, that I have an outstanding amount of over £4k (inc. interest) when the student loan was £3969.50 for the whole course. Realistically, SFE were paying the college £338.40 per month for my tuition, so really my loan should've only been £1,692. I have already repaid £600 through PAYE.

Am I able to contest this? surely, (bar interest) I should only have around £1092 left. How do I deal with this going forward?

Thanks!

Hi there, For us to look further into this for you we will require access to your account. Please contact us direct by calling us on 0300 100 0607, telephone lines are Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm, from 9.00am to 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending