The Student Room Group

I have missed near enough the entire of term one of year 2 at university

So I am kinda close to giving up - but I know I won't go back if I leave

I am a mature student, struggled a lot with mental health when I was younger and didn't get on with studying. After having my daughter I decided to go back, did an access course recieved really good grades and got into uni. Year one I loved, a few struggles with childcare. but I loved it.
Year 2 - I began suffering with extreme migraines and live twenty minute drive from campus so I couldn't drive I couldn't get out of bed. When I was getting better my daughter would get ill from nursery and yeah we are at christmas and I have not completed a single assignment. I have spent days trying to catch up on lectures and seminar podcasts if they are available but 7 classes, all lectures and seminars since September. In addition- I have no friends and know no one at uni. The people I got on with took gap years or left and they moved me into a different group so I literally know no one and can't ask for any help from peers.

I need the money from maintenance loan jan as i have majorly been using my credit card as I havent been able to go to work and life has just been overall bad. So a) I need that maintenance loan and b) anytime I say Im taking a break and will go back- I never have. multiple colleges over the years. I am nearing 30, my options are becoming limited for university

Is it possible to catch up a whole term or am I just a lost cause that has no choice but to leave? Any advice on catching up?
Original post by Anonymous #1

I am a mature student, struggled a lot with mental health when I was younger and didn't get on with studying. After having my daughter I decided to go back, did an access course recieved really good grades and got into uni. Year one I loved, a few struggles with childcare. but I loved it.
Year 2 - I began suffering with extreme migraines and live twenty minute drive from campus so I couldn't drive I couldn't get out of bed. When I was getting better my daughter would get ill from nursery and yeah we are at christmas and I have not completed a single assignment. I have spent days trying to catch up on lectures and seminar podcasts if they are available but 7 classes, all lectures and seminars since September. In addition- I have no friends and know no one at uni. The people I got on with took gap years or left and they moved me into a different group so I literally know no one and can't ask for any help from peers.

I need the money from maintenance loan jan as i have majorly been using my credit card as I havent been able to go to work and life has just been overall bad. So a) I need that maintenance loan and b) anytime I say Im taking a break and will go back- I never have. multiple colleges over the years. I am nearing 30, my options are becoming limited for university

Is it possible to catch up a whole term or am I just a lost cause that has no choice but to leave? Any advice on catching up?

Hi Anon,

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time. It sounds like things have been piling up and spiraling out of control for you, but I want to reassure you that things can pick back up again.

We know that your maintenance loan is coming through, it's just a waiting game until it comes - which I know can be stressful, especially with having your daughter too - but you will have this coming in January.

Even though you're behind on year 2, I think there's still opportunity to take back control. You said you really enjoyed first year, so I think if you found this enjoyment in your work instead of seeing it as "work", it might be easier to get back on track. If you haven't already, I would get in touch with your tutors to discuss your work. Reaching out to get their help and thoughts I think would reassure you more.

A laid out plan or schedule could also help. I've never doubted a trusty to-do list, as basic as it sounds. I'm always an overthinker, so writing down everything on my mind and everything I have to do helps me to visualize what's going on.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to be too hard on yourself. The fact that you're seeking advice on here suggests to me that you still care about your education and I think regardless of your age, you're still more than capable of finishing your degree. Remember to be kind to yourself, and to take some rest when you need it. And try to get in touch with your uni, there's nothing wrong with reaching out for help. And I'm sure there will be some students in your new group that would be up for a chat - sometimes you just need to start the conversation.

I hope things start picking up for you.

Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by Anonymous

You really need to get in touch with your personal tutor ASAP. As if you haven't been attending for an entire term and haven't done any assignments, the uni may well be in the process of withdrawing you for non-engagement.

This is the first and most urgent thing you need to action I think. As there's no point spending the next few weeks catching up if you're going to be removed from the course anyway - which the university is entirely within their rights to do. I really can't underscore (even if just for others for posterity) how important it is to actually notify people that you do have other things going on causing issues. Because without the context provided from you telling your personal tutor about the situation, about completing the mitigating circumstances forms for assignments not completed or handed in late, as far as the uni is aware you've just stopped showing up or handing anything and are still claiming a student loan while sitting on your backside. They don't know what's happening in your life if you don't tell them and from where they are sitting without this knowledge, it might look like something bordering on fraud even.

The other reason to do so is your personal tutor will also be able to discuss possible options with you - interrupting your studies and returning, mitigating circumstances applications if applicable, etc.

So email your personal tutor now. Unfortunately as it's so late in the year your personal tutor may well not see your email until January, as most unis will be closing down for the christmas-new year period from today or tomorrow. But at least if you send them something you have some paper trail.

I would also suggest setting up appointments with your GP to get a letter from them as evidence for your health issues and/or for your child, and any other such evidence that you might be able to provide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending