The Student Room Group

University

I’m studying criminology at uni and going into my second year, any tips on how to do do well?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m studying criminology at uni and going into my second year, any tips on how to do do well?

Hey there!

My advice is it's never too early to start being proactive. I know when I was going into second year I waited until the deadlines were looming before I started actually putting in the work. First year was your trial run, you now know what's expected of you and what the best way you learn is so use that information early and put it into practice. I would also recommend trying some new ways to learn and recall information, if you just stick to one way it may become tiresome and overtime you'll grow to loathe it. Even changing the location of where you study every now and then can help.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi,

Some things I would recommend doing include:

- Reading feedback from past assignments. This can be really helpful especially if you are able to highlight themes where you struggle. For example, if you consistently get told one comment or get told this a few times, it would be ideal to seek out help or ask yourself if you can improve on this for your next assignment.
- Think about what went well for yourself last year and what didn't go so well. You might want to write these down and work out what skills you want to take with you into second year and which habits you would like to leave or improve on this year. For example, I wish I balanced my social/work life better so that when I reflect on my university experience
- Be kind to yourself. Some marks you get back may not be what you want but be patient and kind to yourself. It is okay and completely normal to be hung up on a grade but after some time dwelling on it, start thinking about how you can do better. Be proactive about this too, if you do not understand your feedback I would recommend asking the person who marked. It is usually a lecturer or postgraduate student who is teaching.

I hope this helps and good luck in your second year!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Anon,

Put your deadlines for assignments in your diary/calendar straight away, so that you can plan and prioritise your time. You can also put alerts or reminders for how far away the approaching deadline is, so that you can aim to finish before the deadline.

Doing a little bit of work on a long essay can go a long way, so try not to feel overwhelmed, just try to plan when you have time during the week and try to commit to putting in 2-3 hours (if possible) to work on it, so you can make tangible progress.

Prioritise. There's no point spending ages working on an essay that is not due until December, when another essay needs to be done by the end of October. You will have to juggle both but you will need to focus on the first deadline.

Try to make time to do some revision during the week. It might be coming up with a mnemonic to help you remember something, but it could save you a lot of time during exams if you have a series of mnemonics that you can use. It will also help to keep what you are learning fresh in your mind, so that you are not just learning but retaining the information.

Put in the work! You do need to balance this with rest, but second year counts, so you don't want to regret not putting enough effort in at the end of the year, so try to keep a balance.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi @Anonymous,

Congratulations on entering your second year of studying criminology! Here are some tips to help you do well:

1. Stay organised: Keep track of your assignments, readings, and deadlines. Use a planner or digital tools to manage your time effectively.

2. Attend classes & participate: Engage in class discussions, ask questions, and take thorough notes. Active participation can enhance your understanding of the subject matter.

3. Develop good study habits: Create a study routine that works for you. Break down your course material into manageable chunks, review regularly, and seek clarification when needed.

4. Utilise available resources: Take advantage of textbooks, lecture materials, online resources, and academic journals relevant to your studies. The library and online databases can be valuable sources of information.

5. Seek support: If you're struggling with any concepts, don't hesitate to ask your professors or classmates for help. Consider forming study groups to discuss course materials and share insights.

6. Stay updated on current events: Criminology is a dynamic field, so keeping up with current news and developments can provide valuable context and enhance your understanding of real-world applications.

7. Take advantage of research opportunities: Look for opportunities to gain practical experience in the field. Internships and research projects can provide valuable insights and help you build a professional network.

8. Practice critical thinking: Develop your ability to analyse and evaluate theories, research findings, and case studies. This skill will be beneficial in exams, essays, and discussions.

9. Review past assignments and exams: Reflect on your previous work to identify areas for improvement. Understanding your strengths and weaknesses can guide your future study efforts.

10. Take care of yourself: Maintain a healthy work-life balance, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and take breaks when needed! This is so important! Prioritising self-care will help you stay focused and motivated.

Remember, everyone's academic journey is unique, so adapt these tips to fit your learning style and goals.

Good luck with your studies! I hope this helps.
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending