The Student Room Group

Getting into University

I'm 23, barely scraped by on my GCSEs (bad home life) and I only have a childcare diploma to my name (96 UCAS points). I would really like to study history at a uni but when I've refined my searches my only options are Oxford, Kings College and Nottingham. Do I even have a chance? I've started practicing writing essays again, but I feel like this work would be invalid in an application because it wasn't written during my time in education.

I feel very lost.
Reply 1
Its unlikely that any Uni would admit you with a childcare diploma for an academic subject like History, but there are several options to get you there :
A 1-year Access to HE course at a local college - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)
or several Unis run Foundation year programs designed for older students without conventional qualifications - one example from Bristol - Foundation Year in Arts and Humanities | Learning and teaching | University of Bristol - and from Northumbria - Humanities Foundation Year | Northumbria University
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Its unlikely that any Uni would admit you with a childcare diploma for an academic subject like History, but there are several options to get you there :
A 1-year Access to HE course at a local college - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)
or several Unis run Foundation year programs designed for older students without conventional qualifications - one example from Bristol - Foundation Year in Arts and Humanities | Learning and teaching | University of Bristol - and from Northumbria - Humanities Foundation Year | Northumbria University

Thankyou! I'll look into foundation years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending