The Student Room Group

I should have applied to uni

I had no clue what course to do so I decided on a gap year to 'figure things out' , but now I've finished college and waiting on results I am realising it could be unrealistic. I probably won't do anything productive like travelling or volunteering. Ive been researching into Clearing applications but it seems so daunting and rushed. But I dont want to make a big mistake and not apply , I should have applied and deffered or rejected the course if I didn't want it. How do I go about this ? I think I would like to apply to a psychology course which im quite confident I will get an A in my a level. Also dont know how to write a personal statement and feel like I have nothing good to put in or that will stand out. Please help.
Hey! First of all I would like to say that you have already made a good step in considering what course you want to go into. In regards to personal statement I mentioned specific experience, books I have read, things I have learnt which I have learnt which are relevant to the degree. This is to show the passion you have for that subject e.g. I also applied to psychology and spoke about some of the content we learnt and why I enjoyed it and want to study it further!

With the gap year, I also would consider it because thinking back to my a-levels I felt as though I rushed my university choices. A year of might have helped me research into things more deeply, you might find another course that you want to go into! So I would say even if you do choose that route you would also be allowing yourself more time to see what your passionate about and what career path you want to follow!

Just do whatever you think feels right. Also on the day of results so many different universities have space via clearing and other options. So if it still is something you want to do you will have that option to!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by kerry.woollands
I had no clue what course to do so I decided on a gap year to 'figure things out' , but now I've finished college and waiting on results I am realising it could be unrealistic. I probably won't do anything productive like travelling or volunteering. Ive been researching into Clearing applications but it seems so daunting and rushed. But I dont want to make a big mistake and not apply , I should have applied and deffered or rejected the course if I didn't want it. How do I go about this ? I think I would like to apply to a psychology course which im quite confident I will get an A in my a level. Also dont know how to write a personal statement and feel like I have nothing good to put in or that will stand out. Please help.

Hey @kerry.woollands, how are you? I just wanted to check in and see if things were a bit clearer for you now or if you were still struggling with your decision?

It's completely normal to feel unsure about your next steps! I'd say take some time to reflect on what you truly want to achieve academically and professionally, so think about your interests, passions, long-term career goals. And then think about how a psychology course aligns with this.

You could definitely look into the Clearing process, it's worthwhile checking uni websites and their social media accounts out for an insight into studying Psychology there and just being a student there - you'll be able to see this through student blogs, profiles, vlogs etc. Uni websites may also have videos about studying psychology, virtual tours for you to check out, just give yourself a feel for different uni's and see if you could see yourself studying there. I know a lot of uni's will be holding Clearing Open Days soon, so you could go and speak to academics and students in person directly which can help!

For your personal statement, it's an opportunity to showcase your passion for psychology - so highlight any relevant experiences, skills or interests that demonstrate your commitment to the subject. But it can be challenging having to write one, so definitely get help from teachers, college counsellors, friends who can provide feedback and suggestions too.

Another possibility is that if you're uncertain about starting a course immediately, you could inquire about whether it's possible to defer your entry, so you can have more time to prepare.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you find a course that excites and fulfils you! :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending