The Student Room Group

Feeling behind - everyone my age is out doing things and dating but not me

I turned 18 few weeks ago and I dropped out of school due to bullying and lost most friends. I go to college now but my class is all girls and I’m straight , the friends I made in class I don’t connect with really and aren’t don’t have much in common. I downloaded some dating apps but I’m too embarrassed to start actual conversations , I wish I could meet a guy in person. My college doesn’t have clubs or whatever to find people with my interests.

Does anyone else feel like this or know how to get over it ? Just makes me feel so depressed. I should probably stay on the apps and force myself to message people lol
I was also bullied throughout my whole secondary school time, by the time I got to college I was a social wreck and struggled to make friends, let alone talk to a guy. I'm going into university now so I'm hoping it gets better, plus everyone at uni will be in the same shoes as us so it'll be easier to go out of your way and try meet new people.

If you feel comfortable on the apps you could stay on there, i'd say not force yourself let yourself be more comfortable with doing things, it'll eventually happen, don't worry you're not alone :smile:
Your college might not have activities where you can meet people, but what about where you live? Use it as a means to meet new friends and do something productive, not necessarily dating. Don't compare yourself to others, because so what if someone goes out with a guy at17? It has zero impact on your life. Education and gaining skills, however, gives you opportunities for the future

I wasn't dating at 18, but I was volunteering, fund-raising, mentoring; same at 19, 20, 21, so all through uni, and finally met my boyfriend at work, several years into my job.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I turned 18 few weeks ago and I dropped out of school due to bullying and lost most friends. I go to college now but my class is all girls and I’m straight , the friends I made in class I don’t connect with really and aren’t don’t have much in common. I downloaded some dating apps but I’m too embarrassed to start actual conversations , I wish I could meet a guy in person. My college doesn’t have clubs or whatever to find people with my interests.

Does anyone else feel like this or know how to get over it ? Just makes me feel so depressed. I should probably stay on the apps and force myself to message people lol

You should not push yourself too much. It happens everybody . sending message to people can improve your communication skills .However you should enjoy of it. If you are doing this by forcing yourself , it can really affect your mental health in a bad way. So I suggest that , you can use your hobbies as a communication tool . For example If you like reading book , you can join book club and talk about your best book. This will be enjoyable for you and also you can find your soulmate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending