The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Adult nursing holidays - swansea uni and the university of south wales

Hey,
I was just wondering if any students from Swansea uni or uni of south wales that study adult nursing could tell me the rota for the year (roughly)

Do you get Christmas and Easter off and how long off ,also how long off over summer?

And also as a first year what months are the placements normally?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey,
I was just wondering if any students from Swansea uni or uni of south wales that study adult nursing could tell me the rota for the year (roughly)

Do you get Christmas and Easter off and how long off ,also how long off over summer?

Registered nurse here. I don't have anything to do with Swansea/USW, but...

Yes, nursing students get Christmas off. Usually 2 weeks.

Yes, nursing students get Easter off. Again, usually 2 weeks. The timing of this might be slightly skewed if you're a Jan/Feb/March cohort, but it'll still be given.

Summer break for nursing students varies depending on the university, is always at least 2 weeks but rare to get the 3 months that other students get.

(edited 2 months ago)
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Hey,

I started first year Adult Nursing with Swansea uni in Sept 23. We had induction 19th and 20th Sept 23. Our first full week started 25th Sept and we were timetabled in for a mixture of lectures in person, practicals, self directed study and online lectures (no breaks/half terms in this term). We went on first placement 13th November until 22nd Dec 23 (6 week placement). We had 2 weeks off for Christmas/New year. We were back in on 8th Jan 24 until 1st March (no half breaks/half terms) again a mixture of the learning as the same above. We will be going onto our 2nd placement on 4th march... we will be on placement for 3 weeks and then off for Easter half term for 2 weeks and then back into placement for 3 weeks (so placement is 6 weeks with 2 week break in the middle). We will be back in uni on 29th of April for 4 weeks and then a week of for Whitson half term (May half term we break up Fri 24th May) back in uni on Mon 4th June for 3 weeks. Then our 3rd placement is starting Mon 24th June 24 for 7 weeks... we then have a make back week 12th Aug (this just means you make back any hours missed for the year... if there are no hours to make back then we finish on Fri 9th Aug) after make back week we have 2 weeks off. We don't know what date we start for the 2nd year yet... but we have been told it will be the second week of September, meaning we will have 4 weeks off or 5 weeks if there are no hours to make back. Hope this helps.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey,

I started first year Adult Nursing with Swansea uni in Sept 23. We had induction 19th and 20th Sept 23. Our first full week started 25th Sept and we were timetabled in for a mixture of lectures in person, practicals, self directed study and online lectures (no breaks/half terms in this term). We went on first placement 13th November until 22nd Dec 23 (6 week placement). We had 2 weeks off for Christmas/New year. We were back in on 8th Jan 24 until 1st March (no half breaks/half terms) again a mixture of the learning as the same above. We will be going onto our 2nd placement on 4th march... we will be on placement for 3 weeks and then off for Easter half term for 2 weeks and then back into placement for 3 weeks (so placement is 6 weeks with 2 week break in the middle). We will be back in uni on 29th of April for 4 weeks and then a week of for Whitson half term (May half term we break up Fri 24th May) back in uni on Mon 4th June for 3 weeks. Then our 3rd placement is starting Mon 24th June 24 for 7 weeks... we then have a make back week 12th Aug (this just means you make back any hours missed for the year... if there are no hours to make back then we finish on Fri 9th Aug) after make back week we have 2 weeks off. We don't know what date we start for the 2nd year yet... but we have been told it will be the second week of September, meaning we will have 4 weeks off or 5 weeks if there are no hours to make back. Hope this helps.

Do you still have uni work to do whilst on placement or is there none so you can just focus on placement?
Original post by Anonymous #3

Do you still have uni work to do whilst on placement or is there none so you can just focus on placement?There is no uni scheduled during placement time... however essay deadline fall within placement time ...so unless you are super organised and able to complete your essay before placement then you will find any 'free' time you have during the first half of your placement will be used working on your essay. Hope this helps.
USW Nursing student here!
I think they've changed the timetable slightly from '23 to when I started in '22 but if you are a part of the September intake, you will be on placement over the Christmas period but with 2 weeks off over the Christmas holidays.
Then it's usually 8 weeks altogether off, with 2 weeks in May and 4 weeks in August
All the placement are different lengths in my cohort, but again I think this has slightly changed 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #4
USW Nursing student here!
I think they've changed the timetable slightly from '23 to when I started in '22 but if you are a part of the September intake, you will be on placement over the Christmas period but with 2 weeks off over the Christmas holidays.
Then it's usually 8 weeks altogether off, with 2 weeks in May and 4 weeks in August
All the placement are different lengths in my cohort, but again I think this has slightly changed 🙂
Do you like nursing at USW? , I'm stressed about which uni to chose I have an offer from USW but don't want to make a mistake by picking the wrong uni😭 is the workload OK ? And are the tutors nice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending