The Student Room Group

It is just me and my mum at home, is this the case for anyone else?

I am 16 and for as long as I can remember it has just been me and her at home. She split up with my dad while she was pregnant with me and I'm not sure if he knows I exist. She did have a boyfriend a few years ago but she left him after 3 months he didn't want a child in the picture and I still lowkey feel partly responsible even though my mum has said many times he knew what he was getting himself into and it is his fault. We don't have that much money. Whenever I complained when I was younger she said she cut her hours down so I didn't have to go to breakfast or aftercare in primary school and would tell me she would rather spend time with me then money on me. She has also told me to be grateful for food, a roof over my head and that I have someone who loves me no matter what even when I am being a pain. I have started applying for jobs and handing my CV out to try and get some extra money for myself as well. I love her loads but I do get jealous seeing other people with both parents and brothers and sisters and not having to worry about working for things that they want. How do I deal with this?
Original post by Anonymous
I am 16 and for as long as I can remember it has just been me and her at home. She split up with my dad while she was pregnant with me and I'm not sure if he knows I exist. She did have a boyfriend a few years ago but she left him after 3 months he didn't want a child in the picture and I still lowkey feel partly responsible even though my mum has said many times he knew what he was getting himself into and it is his fault. We don't have that much money. Whenever I complained when I was younger she said she cut her hours down so I didn't have to go to breakfast or aftercare in primary school and would tell me she would rather spend time with me then money on me. She has also told me to be grateful for food, a roof over my head and that I have someone who loves me no matter what even when I am being a pain. I have started applying for jobs and handing my CV out to try and get some extra money for myself as well. I love her loads but I do get jealous seeing other people with both parents and brothers and sisters and not having to worry about working for things that they want. How do I deal with this?

The only way for you to deal with this is by accepting your reality, whether you like it or not. This also gives you the opportunity to start improving your current situation, which you have clearly mentioned by trying to look for a job. It sounds lovely, and very much needed in your situation, but would recommend to stay at school and work only on a part-time job while studying. Another way to cope with your situation is talking about it, and if you do not have anyone to talk to about it on a comfortable level, you can visit a psychotherapist who will be able to listen to you and perhaps give you useful tips (you may as well just visit them once or twice to help you out). Not everyone's families are represented the way they are by the society (e.g., a mother and a father), but this should not limit you to living a fulfilling life. I understand that you might feel resentment to ones who have the "perfect" family, but trust me that even those families are struggling through a different way. The best way to make out of your life is by changing it for the better, whether it is small or big, it needs to be significantly important to you in order to feel better. When you grow up, you can start your family of your own that may reflect the "perfect" family represented by society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending