The Student Room Group

Universal credit help

I’ve applied for universal credit. Im starting a business but I still have to find work even though I want to fully focus on my business. Do they check for legit evidence to see if ive been finding work, going on interviews etc??
Reply 1
Original post by li8sa
I’ve applied for universal credit. Im starting a business but I still have to find work even though I want to fully focus on my business. Do they check for legit evidence to see if ive been finding work, going on interviews etc??

Of course they can check; they can contact organisations that you list in what is called your Claimant Commitment:

"Your claimant commitment will set out what you have agreed to do to prepare for and look for work, or to increase your earnings if you are already working. It will be based on your personal circumstances and will be reviewed and updated on an ongoing basis. Each time it is updated, you will need to accept a new claimant commitment to keep receiving Universal Credit.

[start]The claimant commitment is your record of the responsibilities that you have accepted in return for receiving Universal Credit, and the consequences of not meeting them.[/start]

[start]Your Universal Credit payments may be cut if you don’t meet your responsibilities. This is called a sanction."[/start]

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment
Yes, they're not stupid.

As a new claimant you can expect them to be pretty attentive, you'll need to supply details of everywhere you apply to and may be enrolled on a course of some sort unless you have some compelling reason to say no.

you're possibly better just being straight with them and looking for help starting a business, I'm pretty sure its still possible to claim while starting in some way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending