The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Exam deferral circumstances - is it likely I succeed?

I am in my second year of study at LSE. I already have undiagnosed anxiety (I know because the people around me view my constant anxiety attacks as abnormal). I also have an issue where I periodically find myself absolutely unable to do anything because it feels like I am disconnected from the world and nothing matters. I wouldn't say it's depression since it's not consistent, but every two weeks there are a few days where I find no joy in doing anything, absolutely anything in life, and if I do more than just lie on my bed quietly I get a raging headache and nausea. NHS will take forever to diagnose me as I have heard from people. I also just went through the traumatic event of a close friend unaliving themself and have not recovered by any means. It's made my conditions worse and I have a general fear of the library on campus now because that was where I found out. I have skipped so many classes not because I haven't done the work or readings but because I cannot bring myself to go to campus. It makes me feel so anxious and depressed. I have talked regularly to my academic mentor about this and he is aware of my mental health circumstances. I have also talked with student counselling services, but they've only really told me to seek help outside of the LSE, and as a low functioning person who cannot even go to scheduled meetings, etc, this is highly discouraging. I am worried as we are still 3 months away from exams that I will not be able to defer. But the reality is this is a problem that is going to last chronically and at the pace I am now I am entirely sure my exams will be impacted by something way out of my own control.
Reply 1
It's good that you have already talked to your Personal Tutor and student counselling service (and make sure you keep screenshots of any correspondence, and records of dates when you spoke to them - this s "evidence" should you need it.
However, you have been advised to seek external advce as well and I agree with this, as you may need, at some point in the future, to produce stronger evidence to support yuor case, for example if you do not sit your exams.
Despite what people tell you about the NHS waiting lists, you still have to engage with the system and I would advise you to do that immediately. Start with your GP.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending