The Student Room Group

Want to reach out to new friends but unsure when it is right

I am at a time in my life where I'm realising true friends are very important. For various reasons I've isolated myself and now I really want to reach out to people more. Of course, I want a meaningful relationship too but I figure that's too hard at times and maybe it's best to generally aim for friendship even with the opposite sex. My problem is even though I've been told I'm good company I've isolated myself and not wanted to burden anyone. I'm seeking a bit of advice on how to judge when to reach out and try and get more friendly with someone. Because there might be other people out there who want more or better friendships. I just need to gauge when that is happening. I hate the toxic narcissistic social media 900 friends world. I want to meet genuine people. As regards a relationship, I hate internet dating.

Sometimes life has been cold and harsh to me, so when someone from a friendlier culture offers something I feel touched, maybe too much so but I'm realising I might want to be friends. But it might just be casual on their part. Anyway yeah how do I go about this and read this. How do I find relationships in an increasingly superficial world. Especially given that the years go by.in a flash and I'm no spring chicken. I'm asking youngish people on here because I don't believe older people are any wiser about this.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am at a time in my life where I'm realising true friends are very important. For various reasons I've isolated myself and now I really want to reach out to people more. Of course, I want a meaningful relationship too but I figure that's too hard at times and maybe it's best to generally aim for friendship even with the opposite sex. My problem is even though I've been told I'm good company I've isolated myself and not wanted to burden anyone. I'm seeking a bit of advice on how to judge when to reach out and try and get more friendly with someone. Because there might be other people out there who want more or better friendships. I just need to gauge when that is happening. I hate the toxic narcissistic social media 900 friends world. I want to meet genuine people. As regards a relationship, I hate internet dating.

Sometimes life has been cold and harsh to me, so when someone from a friendlier culture offers something I feel touched, maybe too much so but I'm realising I might want to be friends. But it might just be casual on their part. Anyway yeah how do I go about this and read this. How do I find relationships in an increasingly superficial world. Especially given that the years go by.in a flash and I'm no spring chicken. I'm asking youngish people on here because I don't believe older people are any wiser about this.

You've just got to put yourself out there mate.

Fair enough, there may have been issues and good reasons that prevented you from doing this in the past, but what's stopping you now?

What are your hobbies? What are your interests? Is there something you've always wanted to try, but just kept putting it off? Basically, you should consider joining a club or society that interests you, as that will naturally give you something in common with all the others who are there. Once you're in there talk to the various groups of people and see who you connect with.

If one club isn't working out for you, then drop it and find another one where you may have more luck. As you want to make friends etc. I'm assuming you don't have any other dependents or commitments... and as you're older than most here, I'm assuming you've got some disposable income.

So what are you waiting for? As you said, years are flying by so the sooner you put yourself out there, the sooner you'll get that friendship (or relationship) you desire
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending