The Student Room Group

Toxic work situation or am I overreacting

(just wondering what other people think about this!)

I've been at my job for 5 months and am not enjoying at all, it's made me realise that I want to pursue a completely different career path and don't want an office job!

The company has a big drinking culture and constantly pushes the "we're one big family" agenda, which really doesn't sit well with me and I feel like I don't fit in.

As I'm still new, I want to check that I'm doing things right. Yesterday I asked a colleague a question about a task sent to me by my manager because something was unclear to me - they didn't understand it either and advised me to go back to my manager. The colleague who I initially asked for help mistakenly copied me into an email meant for said manager, and in it the manager basically implied that she thought I was lying about checking with my colleague (she asked the colleague to confirm that I'd actually checked with them, even after I told them I had) and that I'd asked a stupid question because the answer was apparently clear.

This same manager has made several comments about my quiet demeanor, making out like there something wrong with me, and I find myself often feeling uncomfortable when I'm around them.

I just wanted some other perspectives - am I overreacting and taking things too personally? It irritated me when I first read the email but I thought that my colleague had deliberately CCd me in. Looking at it again a few days later, I realise that it was probably a mistake on their part.
Reply 1
Original post by eldorado14
(just wondering what other people think about this!)
I've been at my job for 5 months and am not enjoying at all, it's made me realise that I want to pursue a completely different career path and don't want an office job!
The company has a big drinking culture and constantly pushes the "we're one big family" agenda, which really doesn't sit well with me and I feel like I don't fit in.
As I'm still new, I want to check that I'm doing things right. Yesterday I asked a colleague a question about a task sent to me by my manager because something was unclear to me - they didn't understand it either and advised me to go back to my manager. The colleague who I initially asked for help mistakenly copied me into an email meant for said manager, and in it the manager basically implied that she thought I was lying about checking with my colleague (she asked the colleague to confirm that I'd actually checked with them, even after I told them I had) and that I'd asked a stupid question because the answer was apparently clear.
This same manager has made several comments about my quiet demeanor, making out like there something wrong with me, and I find myself often feeling uncomfortable when I'm around them.
I just wanted some other perspectives - am I overreacting and taking things too personally? It irritated me when I first read the email but I thought that my colleague had deliberately CCd me in. Looking at it again a few days later, I realise that it was probably a mistake on their part.
If it was me I'd keep my head down, turn up daily, and mask my feelings until I was sure of a reasonable reference, and without mentioning it to anyone, I'd get another job where I could be more myself. Life is too short to waste stuck in something you don't feel is ok for you. Good luck whatever you decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending