The Student Room Group

Does it matter what household I put on my student finance?

For my first year of uni I used my dads household, and received the minimum loan, however my mum makes next to nothing.

If I put her as my household for second year to get the higher loan, is that fraud? I only ask as technically my dad has custody of me
Hi angxlikab,

Are your parents divorced or separated?

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 2
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi angxlikab,
Are your parents divorced or separated?
Thanks,
Calum

They are divorced and have been since I was 3, which is an annoyance because my dad is my official legal guardian. However I do still stay with and see my mum a significant amount.
I also have been wondering if legal guardian is even relevant anymore? given that I am 19 and an adult
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi there. You can use whatever parent you live with or have the most contact with to sponsor your application. Thank, Leah.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. You can use whatever parent you live with or have the most contact with to sponsor your application. Thank, Leah.

Thank you! This would be my mum. Does it matter though that my dad has financial custody of me? even though I see my mum an equal amount, maybe more?
Original post by angxlikab
Thank you! This would be my mum. Does it matter though that my dad has financial custody of me? even though I see my mum an equal amount, maybe more?

Hi,

You can choose which parent you want to sponsor your application. Even if your Dad has financial custody of you, you can still have your Mother as your sponsor.

Thanks,
Ross

Quick Reply