This discussion is closed.
j4mes_bond25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Further to the recent BBC's online poll about favourite accent:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4180373.stm

I was just wondering as whose accent tickles the fancy of TSR members around ???

My favourite local one is a plummy accent as of Hugh Grant (voted 4th favourite accent) & as far as international accent is concerned, I can't think of anyone speaking as wonderfully as Irish.
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
irish
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Irish speak like they have potatoes in their mouths
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
English - Scousers. They're so funny.

As for overall, the Aussie's and Irish have cool accents.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
Further to the recent BBC's online poll about favourite accent:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4180373.stm

I was just wondering as whose accent tickles the fancy of TSR members around ???

My favourite local one is a plummy accent as of Huge Grant (voted 4th favourite accent) & as far as international accent is concerned, I can't think of anyone speaking as wonderfully as Irish.
I personally love well spoken accents, they just give such an air of intelligence that seems to be lost with the common tongue that most in my area seem to favour.
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how about a poll.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah I agree that scousers have cool accents. Just listening to Jamie Carragher makes me laugh! Geordie accents are cool too, my cousin has one and it is so sweet!
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
I personally love well spoken accents, they just give such an air of intelligence that seems to be lost with the common tongue that most in my area seem to favour.
Same as above really. I get imensly irritated by the bristolian accent and constantly correct people.
Any one that pronouces the T in water is a God send in my area.
To find someone that doesn't use the slang, pronouces everything correctly and is willing to have an intelligent conversation is becoming very rare. Shame.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueAngel)
how about a poll.
Being rather new here (just joined today) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t89375.html I was rather unsure as whether it would make sense in having a Poll here, as there are various accent around not just within UK but around the world, so what options could I've put, IF I was to do the poll.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
Same as above really. I get imensly irritated by the bristolian accent and constantly correct people.
To find someone that doesn't use the slang, pronouces everything correctly and is willing to have an intelligent conversation is becoming very rare. Shame.
I say 'water' with a 't'
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
Being rather new here (just joined today) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t89375.html I was rather unsure as whether it would make sense in having a Poll here, as there are various accent around not just within UK but around the world, so what options could I've put, IF I was to do the poll.
yeah I see what you mean, there are thousands of different accents.
Forget the poll, takes too much time.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
Luckily you can retreat online, although then you miss out of the lingual bliss of hearing such a well spoken melody.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luize)
I must agree with you there, as missing "t" in water, butter, etc. seems to have become quite a trend now, even in county like Leicestershire. This whole missing "t" concept has its origin in London, but seems to have become rather popular cos of being used in TV programmes, etc. a lot.

I prefer someone who speeks at a speed of 30wpm (built-up area speed), as opposed to someone speaking at a speed of 70wpm (motorway speed) or indeed more than that (like someone driving a rather fast sports car). Of course, the speech SHOULD make sense, more importantly along with having a good rhythm, rather than rambling at a constant same speed.

I was once used to work in a bank's call centre & came across various different accent while making sales call all over the country & found it not quite easy to understand Scottish Highland accent, especially when they speak rather fast.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
A nice Westcountry accent is so soothing though *obviously biased*
ali_bongo_uk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Australian
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
A nice Westcountry accent is so soothing though *obviously biased*
A west country accent is highly annoying for some reason, I am not sure what it is though.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
A west country accent is highly annoying for some reason, I am not sure what it is though.
Only if it's someone like Vicky Pollard! It's soooooo lolling and gorgeous and mmmmm I loves it I does (it's more like Sam from LOTR than Vicky Pollard!)
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Newfoundlander's have neat accents. You have to hear them in person, its quite unique.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Newfoundlander's have neat accents. You have to hear them in person, its quite unique.
I think it is one of the funniest accents I've ever heard!
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think the welsh accent is very nice. Girl with welsh accents sounds very sexy, a la Charlotte Church.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads