The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
both doctors n i do medicine :|
Reply 2
Only in a casual context after I had already matriculated.
This one's a funny one - because my mum's a domestic cleaner for a living and I don't have a dad....

Cambridge... how did I know it would come from there - bet you would have a harder time getting in if you told them what I've got lol
MatthewH
Has anyone interviewing at Cambridge been asked what their parents do? I know a couple of people applying for law who were asked whether their parents were lawyers. Sounded a bit odd to me but maybe it's a survey thing they're doing.

Well, I suppose it's relevant in that context, because lawyer-parents would perhaps impart a lot of useful knowledge, and thus an applicant could appear to be well read on the legal world when that is in fact not necessarily the case.

Anyway, my parents run a small sandwich bar. Oh yeah. :cool:
griffinsnight
This one's a funny one - because my mum's a domestic cleaner for a living and I don't have a dad....

Cambridge... how did I know it would come from there - bet you would have a harder time getting in if you told them what I've got lol

:rolleyes:

No.
Vampyrcorn
:rolleyes:

No.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=722929

Didn't this girl get humiliated during her interview because of where she came from. Her area for example. I believe that parents and where you come from match together very closely...

By the way, it's not that my dad is dead - I just don't know who my dad is, which sort of tells you something.
dads a manual plant operator
mums a nursery nurse
griffinsnight
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=722929

Didn't this girl get humiliated during her interview because of where she cam from. Her area for example. I believe that parents and where you come from match together very closely...

By the way, it's not that my dad is dead - I just don't know who my dad is, which sort of tells you something.

That was years ago and is one applicant out of thousands of working-class applicants every year. Of course that doesn't make it better, but it does suggest that it's far from widespread.

You are quite unlikely at most colleges and with most tutors to face any discrimination.

I certainly didn't at my interviews anyway. The tutors were very understanding of the way society happens to be.
Reply 9
Dad's a Cabdriver. Shove that in your gob and chew on it.

Yeah thorny issue for me.
reems23
Yeah thorny issue for me.

Why?
Reply 11
jismith1989
Why?

I went to a very la de da school. Issues.
reems23
I went to a very la de da school. Issues.

Fair enough, but don't you think that the fact you were able to go to a very 'la de da' school is impressive in itself?
Reply 13
jismith1989
Fair enough, but don't you think that the fact you were able to go to a very 'la de da' school is impressive in itself?

I was bullied because my dad was a minicab driver. :s-smilie: Do I have to make it any clearer?
reems23
I was bullied because my dad was a minicab driver. :s-smilie: Do I have to make it any clearer?

I understand, and I'm sorry. But I was trying to suggest that there's no need to harbour such resentment any longer, as you're surely no longer being bullied (I'd hope).
I didn't go to a la de da school - it's just been my mum and my sister and my grandparents and my mum has never been able to help me with school work let alone anything uni related. She calls uni "college" because she went to college so I think it makes her feel better.

Thought I'd vent I have background issues - it bugs me!!
Reply 16
Engineers, which explains my terrible aversion to Physics :p:
griffinsnight
Thought I'd vent I have background issues - it bugs me!!

I suppose, ultimately, when there's a contrast between your background and your present situation there are always likely to be issues.
Agneisse
Engineers, which explains my terrible aversion to Physics :p:

It's be so much worse if you had an aversion to maths surely :P
Reply 19
lol, yeah some uni's ask that question. I think its cos (mainly in medicine) if you are brought up in a family of doctors/lawyers etc. you are kinda pressurised to follow suit. they wnna know if they interest actually LIES with the subject and didn't just take it cos of their upbringing/pressure from parents to take it. Usually its no disadvantage(may even be at your advantage) if you do have parents in that field.

Latest

Trending

Trending