The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What has your parents profession got to do with your degree choice, that only gives the interviewer the opportunity to be biased! Its none of his business to be honest.
I'd probably get all offended as to why they were asking just so I didn't have to sound ashamed when I told them what my mum does - because I know I do that :frown:

She tries her hardest... but it still bugs me. Which makes me the bad person not her - she's happy with what she does. It pays the rent.
Reply 22
Don't they/didn't they ask this question on the UCAS application?
Reply 23
griffinsnight
It's be so much worse if you had an aversion to maths surely :P

I take Higher Level Maths in the IB :ninja: Though I'm selling out by applying for Biology, the most unmathsy science :biggrin:

Thicky

I'm pretty sure they didn't this year, but I applied as an individual (international student) so it could be different.
Thicky

they dont get to see that until youve been accepted.
i think. and then its used for compiling statistics.
i think. im not sure but i think.
griffinsnight

Didn't this girl get humiliated during her interview because of where she came from. Her area for example. I believe that parents and where you come from match together very closely...

No. She read too much into her interview, and was already overly sensitive IMO.
Reply 26
Because they'll be trying to get an idea of whether or not you actually want to do law, or if it was Daddy's idea.
Reply 27
I told them what my father did and they spat on me and punched me to the ground. Then the laughing started. It didn't stop.

I still hear it sometimes.
I can't help but think that this was just an ice-breaker question, designed to make the applicant settle in and relieve their nerves, rather than any great socio-political conspiracy against one or other class background, or an attempt to root out uncommitted potential lawyers... but maybe that's just me... :rolleyes:
Reply 29
My dad's a ********* and my mum works at BHS :biggrin:

If they judge you from what your parents do then damn them all to hell.
mums teaching children with learning difficulties and my dads a painter / decorator
Reply 31
MatthewH
Has anyone interviewing at Cambridge been asked what their parents do? I know a couple of people applying for law who were asked whether their parents were lawyers. Sounded a bit odd to me but maybe it's a survey thing they're doing.

My parents are spies for the New World Order. :ninja:
jismith1989
I understand, and I'm sorry. But I was trying to suggest that there's no need to harbour such resentment any longer, as you're surely no longer being bullied (I'd hope).

It's very easy to become bitter at having 15 of the first 18 years of your life made miserable simply because your peers didn't think your parents were good enough, or some such nonsense. Though I suppose this is drifting off topic.

My parents' occupations weren't asked at interview, though this was two years ago now.
Reply 33
Isn't that actually illegal? (I don't know)

Like asking in an interview, "Are you pregnant?" :biggrin:
Reply 34
jismith1989
I understand, and I'm sorry. But I was trying to suggest that there's no need to harbour such resentment any longer, as you're surely no longer being bullied (I'd hope).

You are like a dog with a bone.
I wouldn't have thought they were allowed to ask this, given that asking about college choice is on the black list because of the family connections it could reveal.
dads an actuary and mum did maths and im going to do maths at uni
my dad a pharmacist and my mum an nurse and i want to study economics
from my experiences of how much work pharmacist do
Reply 39
ive been asked that crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending