The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm glad they didn't ask me that, I don't have a clue. :dontknow: Something to do with local government.
Sounds like an icebreaking question which the interviewers won't actually care about the answer of. Applicants are going to like talking about their parents as they might be missing home already and it might make them feel more comfortable. It's a bit like how they'll sometimes ask "So why did you choose this college?" because it's a nice easy question to answer, even though they're not actually allowed to take this into consideration whilst assessing your application.
Reply 42
Hmmm. For me, "why did you choose this college" would have been quite a difficult question to answer, since I didn't have any good reasons at all...
Reply 43
I doubt that's an ice breaker. It's some conniving way of gathering information on which to judge you with somehow.

My Dad's a forklift driver, qualified landscape gardener/roofer and general jack of all trades and my Mum's a receptionist. However, if they'd have asked me at my Oxford interview, I would have replied:

'I thought this was about ME, not about other people in my life.' And that's not because I am ashamed in any way shape or form, just because I don't think they should have that information. It should be a meritocracy.

Anybody that has ever asked me what my parents do has always been a nosey f*** that wants to figure out what sort of lifestyle I lead.

Ouch.
I love how all the current students realize the question is probably an ice breaker, whereas all of the students from other universities (Oxbridge rejects maybe?) automatically assume it's some class thing.

In the year I applied (2005) there was a question on the form asking what your parents did, so they already knew. I doubt it affected their decision either way. My icebreaker question at interview was 'How was the journey?'. I'd imagine 'So what do your parents do?' is a similar thing.
Reply 45
Jigglypuff
I love how all the current students realize the question is probably an ice breaker..

Well it does seem that some people would be uncomfortable being asked that question... so that's exactly what wouldn't make it a nice "ice-breaker", no?

Always assuming you want to make people comfortable.. :biggrin:
Reply 46
Jigglypuff
I love how all the current students realize the question is probably an ice breaker, whereas all of the students from other universities (Oxbridge rejects maybe?) automatically assume it's some class thing.

In the year I applied (2005) there was a question on the form asking what your parents did, so they already knew. I doubt it affected their decision either way. My icebreaker question at interview was 'How was the journey?'. I'd imagine 'So what do your parents do?' is a similar thing.

I remember filling in what my parents did on a form when I applied too (2006). I can't imagine it made any difference to my application whatsoever!
Reply 47
llys
Well it does seem that some people would be uncomfortable being asked that question... so that's exactly what wouldn't make it a nice "ice-breaker", no?

Always assuming you want to make people comfortable.. :biggrin:

They would probably be oblivious to how a question like that can be taken the wrong way. But there seems to be no evidence of the question being asked recently anyway.
Reply 48
I doubt they'd judge you on what your parents do to be honest, unless you reply "drug dealer" or something equally ridiculous.
Mine are farmers.
Reply 49
Kelly^2
I doubt they'd judge you on what your parents do to be honest, unless you reply "drug dealer" or something equally ridiculous.

So that's where I went wrong. :doh:
I'd hate to be asked that question. I'm okay with putting it on the form but given the environment and everything it'd be a pretty stupid "ice breaker".

"So what do your parents do?"
"Um, my mum does nothing and I don't have a dad."
"Oh. Lovely."

So many [some class-related] assumptions. Yeah, everyone has two parents who work, totally... For how many people is that a normal question you'd ask anyway? I can't imagine asking it to anyone I know or have just met, ever. The very question would just give you [i.e. me] the impression that you were completely out of place.

But that didn't happen in my interviews, so who cares?! :biggrin:
My mum is an assistant head teacher & my dad is a computer consultant.
G.A.K
I doubt that's an ice breaker. It's some conniving way of gathering information on which to judge you with somehow.

:rolleyes:
Reply 53
Gnah. I sometimes want to gnaw my own face off in frustration at the level of malicious stupidity levelled at the Oxbridge admissions procedure. It's in their interests to have clever people regardless of social background. facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk.
coldfish
Gnah. I sometimes want to gnaw my own face off in frustration at the level of malicious stupidity levelled at the Oxbridge admissions procedure. It's in their interests to have clever people regardless of social background. facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk.

Ditto, except the other persons' faces to the desk :p:
Almost is bad is the way people who aren't applying to Cambridge/don't go there don't actually bother to read the first post...and simply decide to answer the question. Like this:

jelly1000
My mum is an assistant head teacher & my dad is a computer consultant.

and

rachxl
Mum's a history teacher, dad's an "engineering designer". Pretty standard really...
Reply 56
Yeah, but that's just funny. It's just clear that they like the sound of their own voice (or sight of their own words) so much that they actually have no intention of reading anybody else's. It's just a load of squiggles to them.
coldfish

The way I see it, they're the best and they want to remain so. Therefore it's in their best interests to take the brighest pupils regardless of background. To discriminate would be counter-productive.
Reply 58
coldfish
Yeah, but that's just funny. It's just clear that they like the sound of their own voice (or sight of their own words) so much that they actually have no intention of reading anybody else's. It's just a load of squiggles to them.

Sorry.. Everybody makes mistakes. I'll delete the reply.
Reply 59
rachxl
Sorry.. Everybody makes mistakes. I'll delete the reply.

I'm the one who should be apologising -- I was ridiculously harsh. Sorry!

Latest

Trending

Trending