The Student Room Group

paracetamol and alcohol

People in know claim that if you have one or two paracetamol before you go out you get drunk much faster, is this true, obviously if you have alot of both it can kill you but i guess its harmless in smallish quanities, i'm going out in 2 hours, do you think i should give it a go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
KidA
People in know claim that if you have one or two paracetamol before you go out you get drunk much faster, is this true, obviously if you have alot of both it can kill you but i guess its harmless in smallish quanities, i'm going out in 2 hours, do you think i should give it a go?

Actually, it is a myth that paracetamol will kill you, as no matter how much you take it will not kill, just damage your kidneys.
I wouldn't give it a go. I've had bad experiences doing that.
Reply 3
KidA

Never heard that and i wouldn't recommend it! Apparenlt drinkin a pint of water then a shot of vodka helps you along your way
Reply 4
wiwarin_mir
Actually, it is a myth that paracetamol will kill you, as no matter how much you take it will not kill, just damage your kidneys.

it's not a myth, loads of paracetamol and alcohol (at the same time) will kill you, or give you permanent liver damage which will mean you live because of assorted machines.
Reply 5
kateington
Never heard that and i wouldn't recommend it! Apparenlt drinkin a pint of water then a shot of vodka helps you along your way

I'd heard that,
Reply 6
wiwarin_mir

by overdosing on paracetamol, you're liver stops functioning and you die. therefore, it is not a myth :wink:
Reply 7
wiwarin_mir

:eek: Please tell me you're joking.

And to the thread starter, no it is not a good idea to take paracetamol before going out.
Reply 8
Once I was going out clubbing but my bad ankle was extremely painful so I stupidly took 4 paracetomol to ease the pain so I could dance. I got drunk very quick but I was very very ill. I threw up loads and felt bad for about four days with sickness, cramps, dizziness and achy limbs. Dont do it. Your poor liver cant cope with things like that
Reply 9
wiwarin_mir

No, I'm pretty sure paracetamol will kill you!
blissy
No, I'm pretty sure paracetamol will kill you!

If aspirin can, paracetamol will too.
Reply 11
wiwarin_mir

Paracetamol is one of the most lethal OTC medicines you can get!
Reply 12
Daveo
Paracetamol is one of the most lethal OTC medicines you can get!

also it is absorbed into your blood faster than most drugs, so is also the hardest to treat.
Reply 13
KidA
also it is absorbed into your blood faster than most drugs, so is also the hardest to treat.

So dont do it kiddo :p:
I was actually about to start a thread about this. Not taking paracetemol in order to get drunk faster, but if it's ok to have a few drinks after taking it. I want to take it in order to stop pain... just wondered if it's safe to have a few drinks or if you shouldn't mix them at all... :confused:
Reply 15
bestdeceptions
I was actually about to start a thread about this. Not taking paracetemol in order to get drunk faster, but if it's ok to have a few drinks after taking it. I want to take it in order to stop pain... just wondered if it's safe to have a few drinks or if you shouldn't mix them at all... :confused:

Apparently mixing them causes quite a lot of irreversable damage to your liver. It also makes you very sick :redface: :frown: Mind you I did take 4 and also 2 ibuprofen to stop the pain when I did it - then drank wine :eek:
Reply 16
lessthanthree
why are people so dumb sometimes?

WHAT the CRAP is the point in doing something risky to get drunk quicker?

jesus christ.

Probably the same reason people take heroin and cocaine, apart from the addiction they first start off not having enough information. Then when nothing bad happens they figure it's alright?
Reply 17
Chickadee
Apparently mixing them causes quite a lot of irreversable damage to your liver. It also makes you very sick :redface: :frown: Mind you I did take 4 and also 2 ibuprofen to stop the pain when I did it - then drank wine :eek:

you were already OD-ing with that amount anyway. you're not meant to take more than 2 paracetamol every 4hours and don't take it with ibuprofen (it's an either/or thing)

lou xxx
Reply 18
NEVER EVER MIX DRUGS AND ALCOHOL.... or bad side effects may occur...
Reply 19
lou p

you were already OD-ing with that amount anyway. you're not meant to take more than 2 paracetamol every 4hours and don't take it with ibuprofen (it's an either/or thing)

lou xxx

I was told to take paracetamol and ibruprofen with my wrist.

Latest

Trending

Trending