The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pholcodine did my dry cough the world of good :smile:

(Btw it's important to distinguish between a chesty and a dry cough so you can treat them properly. Dry coughs can be treated by cough supressents, which is gonna be no good for a chesty cough cause you need to get it all up not supress it!)
Reply 2
TK
OP
-Emmz-
Pholcodine did my dry cough the world of good :smile:

(Btw it's important to distinguish between a chesty and a dry cough so you can treat them properly. Dry coughs can be treated by cough supressents, which is gonna be no good for a chesty cough cause you need to get it all up not supress it!)

erm well i dunno - how would i know if it's chesty or dry? :smile: maybe it's both :confused:
Reply 3
TK
erm...what is the best brand of cough medicine in your experience. personally i think describing coughs is stupid, but know doubt some of you will insist i tell you what type of cough i've got so let's just say 'tickly/dry'

This is advertising you no the forum rules very well, how dare you:p:
TK
erm well i dunno - how would i know if it's chesty or dry? :smile: maybe it's both :confused:

Yeah I know, I don't fully get it either. A chesty cough is a productive cough ... so like you'd be coughing stuff up.
Reply 5
TK
OP
-Emmz-
Yeah I know, I don't fully get it either. A chesty cough is a productive cough ... so like you'd be coughing stuff up.

mingin - i was coughin up blood a few days ago - jus seems to be phelgm at the mo. sorry for disgusting details. thank you 4 ur help :smile:
Reply 6
TK
OP
AT82
This is advertising you no the forum rules very well, how dare you:p:

i know - i'm such a bad girl - i even did it in the wrong forum - pfft - 'health' and relationships' sounds scary. gossip girl territory i'd say.
TK
mingin - i was coughin up blood a few days ago - jus seems to be phelgm at the mo. sorry for disgusting details. thank you 4 ur help :smile:

Something for a chesty cough then, hope you're feeling better soon. :smile:
Reply 8
TK
OP
-Emmz-
Something for a chesty cough then, hope you're feeling better soon. :smile:

Thanks very much, I'll get some tomorrow :smile:
Reply 9
lessthanthree
oh man, pholcodeine linctus. I think that stuff's excellent. It's prescription only I think, though.

I don't think it is, when I worked at boots it was OTC but we kept it under the counter and had to monitor the people buying it. It was the general consensus of the pharmacists that cough mixtures are a total waste of money unless you need some serious surpressing/breaking up - which most people don't.
Reply 10
-Emmz-

A chesty cough isn't necessarily productive. Generally if you have a productive chesty cough you won't need a cough mixture - it's the unproductive chesty coughs that do (which is why chesty cough mixtures contain an expectorant).
Reply 11
TK
mingin - i was coughin up blood a few days ago

what sort of shade was it and do you think it was a result of you coughing so much and just getting a bit of bleeding from inside your windpipe?
lessthanthree
oh man, pholcodeine linctus. I think that stuff's excellent. It's prescription only I think, though.

Nah it's a P medicine :smile: although you generally will have to ask for it cause it's usually hidden out of view like Blissy said, works wonders me thinks.

blissy
A chesty cough isn't necessarily productive. Generally if you have a productive chesty cough you won't need a cough mixture - it's the unproductive chesty coughs that do (which is why chesty cough mixtures contain an expectorant).

:confused: we got taught a non-productive cough was a dry cough (no sputum/phlegm and irritating/tickle in the throat) and productive was chesty (with sputum/phlegm and chesty, mucus with a feeling of 'tightness')
Reply 13
-Emmz-
:confused: we got taught a non-productive cough was a dry cough (no sputum/phlegm and irritating/tickle in the throat) and productive was chesty (with sputum/phlegm and chesty, mucus with a feeling of 'tightness')

You can get a chesty non-productive cough when the mucus is not being moved from the chest despite the coughing.
timeofyourlife
You can get a chesty non-productive cough when the mucus is not being moved from the chest despite the coughing.

If you're bringing nothing up at all, isn't is really hard to then distinguish it from a dry cough?
Reply 15
-Emmz-
If you're bringing nothing up at all, isn't is really hard to then distinguish it from a dry cough?

With a dry cough the mucous isn't present at all 'on the chest'.
timeofyourlife
With a dry cough the mucous isn't present at all 'on the chest'.

So the person can feel this mucous there? Sorry for all the stupid questions I just feel my lecturer has cheated me :p:
Reply 17
-Emmz-
So the person can feel this mucous there? Sorry for all the stupid questions I just feel my lecturer has cheated me :p:

They can't with a dry cough, but they can with a chesty productive cough and a chesty non-productive cough.

The difference between the latter two is that with the chesty productive cough, mucous can actually be 'coughed up' and expelled where as the non-productive stays on the lungs/chest.

Some people class coughs differently, it's no big deal really.
Yeah makes perfect sense - tah :smile: *ha ha* good job I've got another 3 years before I'm finally let fully loose on the public.
Reply 19
-Emmz-
Yeah makes perfect sense - tah :smile: *ha ha* good job I've got another 3 years before I'm finally let fully loose on the public.

Do they keep you locked up in the mean time? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending