The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Sure STDs are an issue. A flatmate's 22-year old friend went to Montreal, Canada for Spring Break, thought he'd have a bit of "fun" and came back HIV positive. You definitely increase your chances of catching anything if you multiply sexual partners, that's no huge revelation.
But if you take the precautions, there's no reason why you can't sleep with someone who has a past. I don't think there should be a medical issue.

If you want to be 100% sure, there's nothing wrong with telling a partner you'd rather wait until they get an STD test.

Girls: 15 are bothered, 11 aren't
Guys: 19 are bothered, 4 aren't

There's definitely a tendency there
why are guys so bothered?
Reply 82
magiccarpet
why are guys so bothered?

maybe coz girls half EXPECT guys to have slept around but guys don't necessarily expect it of girls. that might be a bit of a generalisation :p:
surely guys must have slept with girls so the numbers of people of each sex sleeping together must be equal?
Reply 84
This is my reply:

Guyy: I would be bothered if my girlfriend had slept with a lot of guys in the past

Why?

It will be a good indicator of what she will be like in the future. It is hard for a leopard to change its spots. If she can do it once (bearing in mind it is not just once, but a lot of guys), she can do it twice and as many times as possible.

I don't like being betrayed in a relationship. I certainly do not think that I can trust this type of girls.

And I felt dirty.

Note: Guys, ignore me if you are having a relationship with this type of girls now. Maybe it is just me. Since you have started a relationship, although she does it in the past, just make sure she does not do it when she is with you, otherwise, don't be blinded by love. Good face, good body ain't everything. It is the character of the girl that is more important.
Reply 85
Maybe I'm a bastard but the only issue isn't that she might cheat on me. It's the whole idea of how she sees sex and how she values it. I'd be upset by the idea that quite a lot of guys, some probably huge assholes, had already been intimate with her, guys that maybe didn't deserve to. It's probably part of a whole possessive thing. But what can you do? Feelings are feelings. What I'm describing is not something logical at all.
Reply 86

Sam, no, as a guy, I understand and empathise with your feelings. It is not illogical at all. It is a common phenomenal in guys, just that few has the courage of admitting it like you.

Chinese has a saying, "Nobody likes to wear worn shoes". I guess it best describes your feelings.

A piece of advice for you, get to know her more. Her character and personality is more important than her looks and figure. She might be the type that trusts people too easily and has been cheated by those jerks. But them again, don't be blinded by love. If she really does not have a good personality or character, accept it, do not find excuses for her.
Reply 87
Ericz
This is my reply:

Guyy: I would be bothered if my girlfriend had slept with a lot of guys in the past

Why?

It will be a good indicator of what she will be like in the future. It is hard for a leopard to change its spots. If she can do it once (bearing in mind it is not just once, but a lot of guys), she can do it twice and as many times as possible.

I don't like being betrayed in a relationship. I certainly do not think that I can trust this type of girls.

And I felt dirty.

Note: Guys, ignore me if you are having a relationship with this type of girls now. Maybe it is just me. Since you have started a relationship, although she does it in the past, just make sure she does not do it when she is with you, otherwise, don't be blinded by love. Good face, good body ain't everything. It is the character of the girl that is more important.

Absolute bull. If she's slept with a lot of guys between relationships thats no indication of how she'll behave when in a relationship. there seems to be an equation on here between lots of sexual partners and lack of faithfulness and thats rubbish
Reply 88
veryjammy
Absolute bull. If she's slept with a lot of guys between relationships thats no indication of how she'll behave when in a relationship. there seems to be an equation on here between lots of sexual partners and lack of faithfulness and thats rubbish

I cannot speak for the world but in my mind, I will be rather prejudiced against this type of girls. Of course, as friends, I am alright but as girlfriends, I do mind.

The link between lots of sexual partners and lack of faithfulness:

Of course, it depends on how young the girl is… if she is say 18 years old, I really don't expect her to have many sexual partners. It just goes to show that she can fall in love with anyone so easily and within such a short period of time, have sex with them. I feel that she is too easy-going or in a crude manner, loose.

She can do that to others in the past, she can probably do it to me now and also do it to others in the future.

I prefer girls who are slightly more conservative where sex is concerned.
Reply 89
veryjammy

Yay, you tell 'em. Us sluts can behave sometimes.
puppy
Well put. As far as I'm concerned you're with someone for who they are at that time, not for who they were in the past. I think it's awfully judgemental to take the attitude that someone's past determines their future, that's not at all fair.

Thats exactly what i was saying before..we might have to both have tests to make sure to each other that were clear..but i wouldnty ask some one every detail of their past sex life, its not my business, just as i may not wanna tell them everything
yea but what eric is saying, that a girl must have had few partenrs to prove she is faithful surely should apply to guys as well?

according to him, as a girl, if i meet a guy who's had alot of partners, he is unlikely to ba faithful. so, why should i allow that yet a girl who's a ho and therefore likely to be unfaithful should not be tolerated by men?
Reply 92
naivesincerity
Thats exactly what i was saying before..we might have to both have tests to make sure to each other that were clear..but i wouldnty ask some one every detail of their past sex life, its not my business, just as i may not wanna tell them everything

It's so easy to say that your past sex life is noone's business but when you're totally crazy about someone, trust me, that really doesn't apply. You're only establishing a wall against honesty and sincerity. Knowing someone's sexual past is part of knowing them, just as you might want to know what they were like when they were younger, who their friends were.

The only reason you're saying that is because you wish that guys didn't care about your sexual past. It's a bit easy to just behave as you like and think that one day, you can wake up and decide everyone must consider you differently. No, what's more likely, is that you'll have to gain the guy's trust. If you want to get close to someone, you're going to have to accept that the guy might want to know and that he's likely to have issues. He might not see sex the way you do. Let him have his own opinion and morals.
but how comes should girls trust guys who've been around alot, but guys dont trust girls who do the same?
Reply 94
viviki
Are you kidding. Unless you are saying most 22 yr olds aren't decent.

last time i surveyed from the misty background, most arent.
I don't see why it matters what anyone has done in their past. You don't love someone for their past, you love them for who they are, unconditionally, so nothing else should matter.
Reply 96
It doesn't bother me. My fiance has slept with other people before meeting me, and I have slept with other people before him. If it was a friend he had slept with maybe I would be a bit more concerned, but I don't know any of the girls, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is his past which I wasn't involved in and he doesn't mind that I have slept with other men.
I see it as if we hadn't slept with other people we wouldn't know that we were right for each other, the past experiences make me realise just have perfect he is for me.
Reply 97
Iluvatar
I don't see why it matters what anyone has done in their past. You don't love someone for their past, you love them for who they are, unconditionally, so nothing else should matter.

Very well said!
Reply 98
Iluvatar

But our past shapes who we are now, so it is an important part of ourselves. You can't just disregard it.

I think there is a difference between someone having slept with a few people, who they've been in relationships with, and someone who has slept around a bit more. The former wouldn't bother me (it would be stupid to expect all future partners to be virgins) but the latter would, as who's to know they wouldn't still want to do the same?
Reply 99
Iluvatar

But someone's past tells you about who they are.

So you wouldn't mind in the slighest if you met someone and wanted a relationship with them, and found out they've had unprotected sex on one-night stands with over 200 people?

Latest

Trending

Trending