The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pull the handbrake up???
gravity...
Reply 3
you can start by stop making threads on things you will be taught when learning to drive.
Reply 4
Masterz
pull the handbrake up???

So you have to pull the handebrake up and every time pull it down then accelerate and keep doing this?
If you're stopping and starting going up a hill then yes, you pull the handbrake up each time you stop... unless it's only for a second, in which case you can hold the clutch at biting point (wears out the clutch though so don't make it a habit).
Reply 6
CookieArun
So you have to pull the handebrake up and every time pull it down then accelerate and keep doing this?

On your test you do :wink:
Reply 7
Lara C.
you can start by stop making threads on things you will be taught when learning to drive.

Why are you stalking me? And i have a right to post on this forum thank you very much..
Reply 8
If you're going to stop on an incline for a short while, you'll need to practise your clutch control. If you're stopping there for quite some time, you use the handbrake.
Reply 9
CookieArun

Not always necessary, often you can just be quick when moving your foot from break to accelerator..
Reply 10
PaulRevere
Not always necessary, often you can just be quick when moving your foot from break to accelerator..

Though of course this is what causes the car to move backwards. As soon as the brake is released, it rolls backwards. The idea of using the handbrake is so you can get it to biting point and release the handbrake then - not slipping back an inch.
Reply 11
PaulRevere

You would need a third leg to do that without rolling back on a steep hill. Anyone who doesn't use the handbrake on steep inclines hasn't been taught how to drive.
Reply 12
Or you can hold your toes on the brake, whilst pressing the accelerator with your heel, let the clutch off, then move your toes off your brake. I have done that sometimes in this Renault Espace because it has a stupid electronic handbrake...

Peace x
CookieArun
Why do manual cars roll back and go back on hills/roads? What can be done to stop manual cars from doing this?

generally they don't , unless they are being driven poorly ...
Reply 14
bj_945
Or you can hold your toes on the brake, whilst pressing the accelerator with your heel, let the clutch off, then move your toes off your brake. I have done that sometimes in this Renault Espace because it has a stupid electronic handbrake...

Peace x

That sounds a lot more complicated than pulling the lever to your left.
FXX
You would need a third leg to do that without rolling back on a steep hill. Anyone who doesn't use the handbrake on steep inclines hasn't been taught how to drive.

Right foot on brake, left foot brings clutch up to bottom of bite point, right foot switches to accelerator, clutch up and away? It can be done... it's just not ideal.
Reply 16
i think a more important question is how do you do a hill start in a automatic?
i think a more important question is how do you do a hill start in a automatic?

i also always wonder this
Reply 18
Einstein Jr
i also always wonder this

keeps me up at night
because the saps that sit in the commanding seat of them don't know how to drive them properly!

Latest

Trending

Trending