The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Start at 30, stop at 40 :smile: Ideally around 34/35.
elsa_89
Erm...like 35+. I don't see the point in having them young. If you're worried about fertility and the like, freeze your eggs. :yes:

Thats a common misconception, younger eggs are often used when women over 30 or worse 35 want children but frozen eggs are different. This is why women must look into ways to have children before they want to actually have them, years before potentially.

'During the egg-collecting procedure, doctors typically retrieve 10 to 12 eggs, but some of these will not survive the freezing, storage and thawing process.'

And usually you have less than 4 eggs survive and a few that have need to be destroyed due to abnormalities caused by the process so usually 2 is the maximum you can hope to retrieve.

THEN

If theyre only eggs and not embryos they have to uphold the fertilisation and proceed to develop normally.

THEN

'At best, the chance of a woman having a live birth from a single thawed out egg is just 1-2%.'

And this is not taking into account the lowered odds from the age of the woman these eggs are implanted in or the wait to obtain donor sperm if needed.
When I'm in a stable relationship and when I can provide everything for my children.

I really think you can't rigidly plan things like this :s-smilie:
Reply 83
Jennie1987
Thats a common misconception, younger eggs are often used when women over 30 or worse 35 want children but frozen eggs are different. This is why women must look into ways to have children before they want to actually have them, years before potentially.

'During the egg-collecting procedure, doctors typically retrieve 10 to 12 eggs, but some of these will not survive the freezing, storage and thawing process.'

And usually you have less than 4 eggs survive and a few that have need to be destroyed due to abnormalities caused by the process so usually 2 is the maximum you can hope to retrieve.

THEN

If theyre only eggs and not embryos they have to uphold the fertilisation and proceed to develop normally.

THEN

'At best, the chance of a woman having a live birth from a single thawed out egg is just 1-2%.'

And this is not taking into account the lowered odds from the age of the woman these eggs are implanted in or the wait to obtain donor sperm if needed.

Since one is presumabley paying for the service of egg-freezing, what is stopping them from having 30 or 40 frozen instead of 10? Besides, I was suggesting this as back up. A lot of women conceive naturally in their late thirties. And I'm seeing an increasing number of women in the forties with babies. It's happening.
I wouldn't want kids at an early age. I don't think I'd be able to cope with it all.
I'd say mid 20's. Scary thought having a child or two. But I really want one. To me its a lot more about the situation that the age. If by some miracle I had found a wife at 23, had made a shedload of profit on my portfolio (I'm talking upwards of 10000% of what I have now) and had a stable job, I would be more than happy bringing a child into this world. But I will not bring a kid into near poverty, or a situation where he/she doesn't have parents that are together in a nuclear family.
elsa_89
Since one is presumabley paying for the service of egg-freezing, what is stopping them from having 30 or 40 frozen instead of 10? Besides, I was suggesting this as back up. A lot of women conceive naturally in their late thirties. And I'm seeing an increasing number of women in the forties with babies. It's happening.

Yes but if you read the literature behind these 'miracle births' it explains they spend tens of thousands of pounds using someone else eggs to get pregnant. 30 or 40 eggs would cost more at the time (roughly £5000 for fertility drugs and procedures each months so £20000 then you pay an extra charge each year to house them then at least £5000 each time for insemination) and you couldnt do it month after month if it is allowed at all due to the increased risk each time of early menopause, ovarian cancer and particularly ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. There are many other things of course but the last is the most common and can come with ovarian torsion, ovarian rupture, thrombophlebitis and renal insufficiency. And these things lead to hysterectomies or removal of ovaries which means youd need a surrogate or never be able to get pregnant naturally.

There have been many warnings that doctors shouldnt even suggest it as a back up due to it barely working. Saying that so many women are having babies at this age that age is the media image shown to people who havent investigated the realities.
Reply 87
Abhead
Atheists can use contraception, if you don't trust the pill use condoms. If the condom fails you can tell, and get the morning after pill. If you are worried about not being able to get the morning after pill in time get one from the chemist and keep it for emergencies.

Holding off sex purely to avoid getting pregnant seems a bit unecessary in this day and age.

Fair enough. That's a good point. Although an old teacher of mine also made a good point - that unless you're mature enough to deal with the potential consequences of sex, you're not ready. I think that's a fairly good ballpark.

Anyway, sorry, I was being a bit thick! :o:
No way am i going to be one of those old dad that gets laughed at by the kids at parents evening.
Having a child early 20s for sure
Don't leave it late. 35 1 in 300, 40 1 in 100
Reply 90
Well, I graduate when Im 23, so then Id need to get a career on the move, with a good wage. Id need to get married and be stable in things. So depending on everything, Id say maybe 27, 28?
But who knows!!
I'd like to start trying for children [so long as I'm married and financially comfortable] by around 26 onwards. No earlier really. I'd probably stop by about 38. I don't really want to be an older mum.
Reply 92
cucumber sandwich
How did you manage to pop out 4 kids in 1 year ?

Quadruplets :wink:

p.s - where did you get 1 year from...? Born over 4 years!
Reply 93
When I'm in a settled job, stable relationship and have enough money.

Late 20's?
I want them when the situation is right rather than during a certain age range. But if the situation wasn't an issue I would like to have children between the ages of 25 and 35. My parents were a lot older than that so I know that can also work, I also know quite a lot of successful young mums so I guess if it did happen sooner I wouldn't exactly be gutted. There are a few things I want to do before I start poppin sprogs though so it will have to wait a few years yet :yep:
Reply 95
I don't know. Hopefully before the workers have left the factory of course. I can't predict the next ten or twenty years of my life.
About 24/25. After I'm married.
Reply 97
Mid to late thirties if I decide I want one (and I'd probably be more likely to adopt).

Apparently I'm abnormal?
Reply 98
lately ive been really thinking about having kids and being a dad

I really wanna be a dad lol

BUT im not too keen on marriage atm.
I was always the 'different' one in my family lol
Abhead
Are you Catholic?

Christian :smile: <3

Latest

Trending

Trending