The Student Room Group

Will I finally be happy when I go to uni?

Anon or delete please.

I had a rough time in my final year of school. I was bullied by a nasty group of boys physically and emotionally. They spread horrible, exaggerated/false rumours around my year about me. It all happened at the end of year 12 and continued right the way through to the end of school (it got better as time went on but was still bad). I reported it to my school but that made matters worse.

That's in the past now. What I'm asking is, will I face this kind of stuff at uni? Are people out to abuse other people? Does it depend on the uni I am going to? What sorts of things should I avoid doing to make sure people don't hate me? I'm severely lacking in confidence after these events (I hardly go out the house anymore, I always see the worst in people) and I want to reassured that this won't happen to me at uni.
Reply 1

You say you don't venture out of the house much. I've heard from people previously at uni that staying in is the worst thing you can do. In your first few weeks/months at uni you start to make friends, and the best way to ensure you enjoy it is to meet as many new people as you can.

Not everyone is out there to abuse others at uni, i think you were just unlucky at college/school. At uni there are bound to be many people from many different backgrounds, who share different interests amongst other things. You are bound to find your place at uni with a group of friends who share your interests/music taste/ etc. :smile:
Anonymous
Anon or delete please.

I had a rough time in my final year of school. I was bullied by a nasty group of boys physically and emotionally. They spread horrible, exaggerated/false rumours around my year about me. It all happened at the end of year 12 and continued right the way through to the end of school (it got better as time went on but was still bad). I reported it to my school but that made matters worse.

That's in the past now. What I'm asking is, will I face this kind of stuff at uni? Are people out to abuse other people? Does it depend on the uni I am going to? What sorts of things should I avoid doing to make sure people don't hate me? I'm severely lacking in confidence after these events (I hardly go out the house anymore, I always see the worst in people) and I want to reassured that this won't happen to me at uni.

Bullying is nowhere near as common at uni as it is in school. The only people you have to see regularly are your coursemates and even then you don't have to interact with them.
Add into this that people are generally far more mature at uni and you can see why it's unusual.

As the above poster says the crucial thing at uni is that you put yourself out there and don't be too introverted at uni. Be outgoing and friendly and you should be fine with making friends.
Reply 3
Happiness is a weird thing. You can't be guaranteed it when you go to Uni, but don't worry about being bullied. It happened, its in the past and you're moving on. Just keep in mind to be friendly, poilte and make and effort with others and you should get enjoy yourself. But don't have too high expectations. You'll have good times and bad times.
Reply 4
OP i feel for I really do !

Uni You can do anything, I feel people who had a hard time at school, find it eaier at uni! The people who had a great time at school, often find it hard to get what they had at school
Reply 5
There really isn't bullying at uni, everyone mature and "well behaved" :] But i agree with what people say, you need to get out more when you do go. Get to know everyone and also join a few societys. Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending