The Student Room Group

Lying on your CV

Hello,

I've started to prepare for job seeking! I've written a CV with the help of others. Then my boyfriend's mum offered to review it (which is great 'cause she looks at CVs and interviews people at her work!), but she said that most places would toss me aside because I have no work experience (other than looking after kids occasionally). So, she said I should lie on my CV and say that I've worked for her partner's business.

But I don't feel comfortable with this at all. I got the impression from her that there's no hope in hell for me when it comes to getting a job, unless I say I've done more than I actually have. She also told me that this is really common, everyone lies on their CVs and so it's fine.

I just wondered, is it true that lots of people lie on their CVs? I thought people would just lie about their skills perhaps but not their actually experience. I just can't imagine advising someone to lie about something like that, especially if it could backfire or if you're caught out by displaying that you don't really have the experience you claimed to have.

Scroll to see replies

You can lie on your CV, but to a certain extent.
dont lie, stretch the truth :awesome:
Reply 3
if youre having doubts i wouldn't do it. just stretch the truth on things you actually have done.
Feel free to put your CV up on the CV Help thread and get some advice that won't include lying! There is no reason at all that not having had a job before means you can't show experience. You can get transferable skills from a variety of places.

It's not fine to lie on a CV, if you get found out then it is justification for instant dismissal and you'll never work for that company again, nor quite likely anyone who knows you lie on your CV.
Reply 5
It's not worth ruining your reputation.
Reply 6
If this other woman is willing to vouch for you as a reference....then what's the problem?
Reply 7
It worked for Lee off the Apprentice.
Reply 8
If you lie, learn your lie.
Reply 9
Jazmine
Hello,

I've started to prepare for job seeking! I've written a CV with the help of others. Then my boyfriend's mum offered to review it (which is great 'cause she looks at CVs and interviews people at her work!), but she said that most places would toss me aside because I have no work experience (other than looking after kids occasionally). So, she said I should lie on my CV and say that I've worked for her partner's business.

But I don't feel comfortable with this at all. I got the impression from her that there's no hope in hell for me when it comes to getting a job, unless I say I've done more than I actually have. She also told me that this is really common, everyone lies on their CVs and so it's fine.

I just wondered, is it true that lots of people lie on their CVs? I thought people would just lie about their skills perhaps but not their actually experience. I just can't imagine advising someone to lie about something like that, especially if it could backfire or if you're caught out by displaying that you don't really have the experience you claimed to have.

And get an unfair advantage over the other honest people applying for the same jobs? Eugh, no.
Reply 10
Very Serious Poster
Nah, it would crease it up

xD
It's probably a bad idea, they might ask you about your time working for this other company and then you would be screwed cos you wouldn't have a clue.
Ghost
And get an unfair advantage over the other honest people applying for the same jobs? Eugh, no.

When I'm looking for a job playing fair doesn't really come into it. Either you get the job or you have to live on £50 a week.
Arctic_wombaT
dont lie, stretch the truth :awesome:

Yeah, stretch the truth. Surely, that involves taking full responsibility for "stretching the truth". It works sometimes.
Reply 14
(edited 13 years ago)
Ghost
Exaggerating the truth isn't uncommon for CVs, and is quite acceptable. For example, if you just stood beside a new guy who was operating the EPOS for the first time, making sure he didn't **** it up, you could call that "Supervising and training of new staff with shop floor equipment". That's selling yourself.

Blatantly LYING on your CV is an entirely different matter. Writing down experience which quite simply doesnt exist is essentially fraud, and is disgusting when other people genuinely do work hard to get a good CV.

I think she should just go do some work experience at her mums partners firm and then put that down tbh.
threeportdrift
Feel free to put your CV up on the CV Help thread and get some advice that won't include lying! There is no reason at all that not having had a job before means you can't show experience. You can get transferable skills from a variety of places.

It's not fine to lie on a CV, if you get found out then it is justification for instant dismissal and you'll never work for that company again, nor quite likely anyone who knows you lie on your CV.

Definitely use the CV help on TSR!! threeportdrift helped me so much I've so far been offered 2 interviews from 5 applications - and this is the first time I've ever applied for a real job.

Agreeing with others, don't lie, just think of all the things you wouldn't consider to be significant which actually contribute to the job you're applying for. I thought of a lot once I'd had hints and examples.

Any jobs, voluntary work, favours, chores you've done will usually include some skills which are transferable to other jobs :smile:
Well if the partner who owns the business agrees to play along and provide a reference if asked, nobody will be any the wiser.
Please don't lie OP. Just get some proper work experience. There is a chance you could be caught out.
Abhead
When I'm looking for a job playing fair doesn't really come into it. Either you get the job or you have to live on £50 a week.

Ruthless. Not the way to a happy life..

Latest

Trending

Trending