The Student Room Group

Is this bad?

Some girls who I meet tell me I sound like a "London roadman" and are shocked because I look like someone who would speak posh. But I don't talk in slang or speak "road"

I am kind of apprehensive that I sound like I am about that street life and so people will paint in me in a negative light because of this :/

Will my accent be a hindrance in life?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scorchered
Some girls who I meet tell me I sound like a "London roadman" and are shocked because I look like someone who would speak posh. But I don't talk in slang or speak "road"

I am kind of apprehensive that I sound like I am about that street life and so people will paint in me in a negative light because of this :/

I will be honest. Maybe
Reply 2
Original post by iwatchanime
I will be honest. Maybe

:frown:

How old are you?

When I was younger, I had a strong London accent (although maybe not a "Roadman"), but when I went to university and I started mixing with more well-spoken people, I quickly lost the accent.

On the other hand, there are plenty of girls who go for Roadman types, so it's not all bad.
listen to bbc radio, watch less 'roadmen' type youtubers, limit what you watch and practice pronouncing all the letters in your words
dont do the fake posh accent, just pronounce every letter
Don't pretend to please anyone. Be yourself and people should accept you as you are
It depends on your dating expectations and dealbreakers.
First impressions are often crucial in terms of deciding whether someone is sexually attractive and accents are an element that often reduce the potential dating pool considerably.
Different people have very different dealbreakers and relationship preferences.
Reply 7
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Are u black or something

No I am Arab and white, but I do get told that I sound black over the phone
How do people 'sound black' and 'sound white' based on their accent?
No I am Arab and white, but I do get told that I sound black over the phone

Ah then I can see why it's bothering you. Were you raised around london roadmen then?
Original post by SagaciousSag

Who even mentioned sounding black or white?
Original post by SagaciousSag

Probably connected with voice analysis of acoustic cues and vocal physiognomy .
Involving national accent, dialect being spoken, use of slang terms widely associated with specific regional communities or informal groups.
Source materials tends to be a lot more in-depth than a limited scope of comparing audios of two different racial backgrounds, often at least three different ethnicities all raised within the same nation/3-4 state lines with comparisons of regional differences in accent & use of slang vocabulary.

There was a famous usa linguistic study carried out in the usa by John Baugh.
Mr. Baugh's ancestral heritage was African American and his study involved him using three very different sounding american accents plus some terms associated with specific dialects.
Standard European American, casual African American and Chicano (strong Chicago dialect).

OP in #post9.

I'm about 99.9% certain that a 'roadman' doesn't use the words 'apprehensive' or 'hindrance'.

Attachment not found
Ah then I can see why it's bothering you. Were you raised around london roadmen then?

Yess. I talked in slang until I reached mid teens and just stopped because it is was becoming kind of cringe.

But the accent stuck.

I think I should change my environment by going to a posh uni full of squares so I won't sound so "road".
Yess. I talked in slang until I reached mid teens and just stopped because it is was becoming kind of cringe.

But the accent stuck.

I think I should change my environment by going to a posh uni full of squares so I won't sound so "road".

oh lard maybe just work on your pronunciation and diction and use less slang. Hopefully, with time, your accent will become more 'well-spoken'.
I don't think it will be a massive hindrance so don't worry but it might create prejudice among certain types of people, unfortunately. And go to the uni youu want, you'll find posh people anywhere man.
Are u black or something

??
Original post by username54
??

what
If they say you sound like a roadman then you must be speaking in slang? If you have a British accent I can't see any other way you can sound like a roadman unless they mean you sound less than smart.
what

what does that quote mean?
Are u black or something

bruh..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending