The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Haha, ouch!
Reply 21
Seriously, you're better than Maccies, my girlfriend works there and really doesn't enjoy it, she says the people she works with are alright, but the main reason she got a job there is because her best friend has been working there since January, so some gentle persuasion certainly helped her get a job there! I've been promised a job there too if I actually moved to Manchester (where she lives) XD

I've just got a job at Sports Direct (I think, haven't been given my shifts yet :s-smilie:), its minimum wage (£3.53 GRRR) but its in a low pressure environment when you compare it to Maccies! We got told at the induction that its completely up to us if we want to take on shoplifters, and given that SD sell golf clubs and baseball bats, it's quite an appealing prospect to go chav bashing! :P

Just keep handing in CVs to places and looking on websites like www.inretail.co.uk and store websites if you're after a job in a shop. I applied to my local Starbucks in March, got offered the job, but rejected them because they said I had to do a certain shift on a weekday, which I can't do, I'm in 6th form, and there's actually shedloads to learn and do for only minimum wage!

Good luck, you'll find something, my problem is that I have been way too fussy with the sort of job I want, if I'd bitten the bullet months ago instead of waiting I would've got a job easily enough...
Reply 22
dfjr
I hear they're harder to get in than oxbridge these days.
:wink:

In my case this is actually true! :p:
Oxford - sorted
McDonalds - rejection email just hours after my interview

I know which one I'd rather have...Got a job at debenhams now anyway so it's all good :biggrin:
Don't worry, two of my friends passed the interview and had a one-month probationary period. Both of them failed it and had to leave...fancy not being competent enough to work at McDonalds!
Reply 24
I give up on it, there's just no point in this bull**** anymore. I'm done with everything and everyone.
Original post by r.hackett
I give up on it, there's just no point in this bull**** anymore. I'm done with everything and everyone.

A true necromancer.
Original post by nuodai
McDonalds has built up a reputation of being a place where if you apply, you're more or less guaranteed a job. That's because people hate it and drop like flies, or because people only work there on a temporary basis or whatever. Now that everyone's up in arms and panicking about the economic recession, people don't want to lose their jobs, so they're putting up with the crap. Also, more people are looking to apply for jobs, so a lot more people are applying to McDonalds... as a result, there are more applications and less places, so McDonalds is now like any other place, in that there's a certain element of competition for jobs there. So, don't be upset about it, just carry on applying places; you'll find somewhere nicer than McDonalds to work, I'm sure of it.

I heard that if you got a good CV they will reject you as they won't expect you to stick around for long.

And lol this is the first time i have ever seen you make a non maths related post.
Reply 27
Original post by Computerised
And lol this is the first time i have ever seen you make a non maths related post.

To be fair, I posted that more than two years ago. I'm not sure I even agree with what I said any more.
Reply 28
God bless! Its just the economic recession and probably as sb said above that they dont want overqualified ppl or ppl that think theyre overqualified.
But hope you get a job somewhere else, try more!
Original post by calumcvet
I've just got a job at Sports Direct (I think, haven't been given my shifts yet :s-smilie:), its minimum wage (£3.53 GRRR) but its in a low pressure environment when you compare it to Maccies! We got told at the induction that its completely up to us if we want to take on shoplifters, and given that SD sell golf clubs and baseball bats, it's quite an appealing prospect to go chav bashing! :P

Working at mcdonalds isn't that bad... It helps that most of the people who work there are great. I earn more than you while I work at mcdonalds and you just learn to get on with it really
Original post by MazMaz
As others have said, they won't employ you if they think you're over-qualified. it's because they offer things like business qualifications (can't remember what ones) which would look better on the not so "academically gifted" persons CV. then again, maybe you just didn't fit in with the maccy d's world (gobby, eat chips etc..)

apply for sainsburys, tesco, john lewis, waitrose etc.

You trying to stereotype all maccys employees ? We're not all chavvy school drop outs
Reply 31
Original post by Lukely
In a game of rock paper scissors... McDonalds, KFC, Burger King...

McDonalds = Rock
KFC = paper
Burger King = scissors

WELL BK cuts up KFC, but McDonalds blunts BK... whilst KFC wraps McDs and so on.

Either way, KFC win.

I don't think that's how 'rock, paper, scissors' works.
Reply 32
They rejected me too, I didn't even get to the interview stage. Try other restaurants, always a few waitressing/waiter jobs going around. Or you could work in restaurant kitchens... best of luck!
McDonalds only accepts the elite of the elite.
Reply 34
at least you got an interview!
Original post by maxfire
what do you want us to do about it?

buy him a BigMac
Reply 36
I got to the interview, rejected me, then threw me to another McDonald's chain, and got a Job after being interviewed by the manager there... Although when I applied to that shop where I got the job directly, I got rejected too... It's just when I got redirected and got an interview from the manager, and the manager liked me...

Which is really wierd
Original post by Tut.exe
I got to the interview, rejected me, then threw me to another McDonald's chain, and got a Job after being interviewed by the manager there... Although when I applied to that shop where I got the job directly, I got rejected too... It's just when I got redirected and got an interview from the manager, and the manager liked me...

Which is really wierd

Ganyan talaga ang buhay.... :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Alpha-Omega
Ganyan talaga ang buhay.... :biggrin:

LoL. just dropped me a bomb
Original post by neodymium
Today i got interviewed at mcdonalds and just after 30 min they sent a rejection email. I need a job badly. Now I feel so freaking depressed, like i wanna commit suicide or something :frown:

EDIT: Wait I didn't even make this post, someone stole my details! But I'll keep it here anyway if someone else might need help on this...

Just keep on trying, I was in the same position as you until ASDA took me on as a Christmas temp. NOW I have an interview at McDonalds but my friend doing a law degree got told he was overqualified (he is doing a law degree and I'm doing a chemistry degree and we are both in the same year.) I think it's probably to do with the answers you put on the 'what would you do in this situation' quiz. Pick answers that show you're assertive and not afraid to stand on people's feet and I think you will have a better chance. Also team-working answers help too. In your hobbies section mention any social events and things you do because employers like that.

I hope you get something, keep on trying, NEVER lose hope.
Fight the good fight bro!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending