The Student Room Group

World Challenge Trips ?

Hi, I am 15 years old and my school is doing a World Challenge trip to Borneo, for one month. It costs £4000 not inc. vaccinations, equipment etc. I really enjoy and try hard at school, i am predicted 8A* and 2A's and am considering applying to Oxbridge for English Lit or Criminology. I also have been doing karate for 6 years and am selecting to represent England next year so I do a lot of extracirriculur activites. Heres the thing - I don't think I can raise that amount of money it's working out to be nearly £6000! It would mean getting a job and I simply do not have time. I would love to travel but am I missing out on too big an opportunity? I do want to travel but I think that is just soooo much money!
thanks xx
:o:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£6,000 :eek:

Did you especially want to go to Borneo or was it just the experience of being away for a month?
Reply 2
I went to Peru with World Challenge in 2009. Put simply, it was the best experience of my life. The fundraising was a challenge, but my group worked well together and we did a lot of joint fundraising.

WC help a lot with the fundraising, and unless it has gone up considerably, £6000 is an over estimate. Much of the kit you can borrow/get second hand/get very cheap at decathalon.

I managed to raise about 3/4 of my money by washing cars, feeding pets, doing a sponsored absail (organised by WC), getting sponsorship from companies, donations and I didn't get a job until afterwards. I topped up the remaining amount with my bank account and inheritance.

Don't forget that this is one of the best things you could have on your CV, and my personal statement for uni was almost entirely written about this (talk about the skills you gained etc) (I got 5/5 offers).

Thats just my two cents anyway :-)

PM me if you need any help/advice etc.
Do some fund raising. Borneo's a special place and I think that if shown people will be willing to chip in for you.
Reply 4
That's the thing, although Borneo looks amazing I think it's just going away for a month .. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Hi, I'm 18 and last year I went on a world challenge trip the Ecuador and the Galapagos islands (same price) and was an INCREDIBLE experience. I do a lot of EC aswell so like you I did not have time for a job, I did odd jobs babysitting, carwashing etc plus a couple of big fundraising activities including a cake stall at school lunchtimes a couple of times a week which made us a fortune. You get quite a long time to raise the money and I HIGHLY reccomend you go for this trip if you possibly could.
I was asked a lot about it in interviews aswell so it was a bonus there, (if thats what you are thinking about)

PS. I got most of my vaccinations free because Im a medical applicant :P

ANy more questions just ask :biggrin:
Reply 6
Shifters
WC help a lot with the fundraising, and unless it has gone up considerably, £6000 is an over estimate. Much of the kit you can borrow/get second hand/get very cheap at decathalon.

Who are WC?
Reply 7
With £6000 you can travel around the world. Or at least around an entire continent.(depends on your standards)
It would be an amazing experience but don't under-estimate the amount of time you will also need to spend doing things like fitness preparation and researching the place where you are going. I only had to raise £3000 for a similar trip I went on and I still don't think I could have done it without my part-time job because I really hated feeling like I was begging money off companies and asking for donations for what is basically a great experience for you at the end of the day. This won't be your only opportunity to travel - you're entering a time in your life where you will be able to take gap-years, travel with friends in the holidays and you'll find plenty of other ways to see the rest of the world and get away from home.

On the other hand, I agree that your equipment and medicals will not cost nearly as much as £2000, maybe £400 is the estimate I would give. And I must admit these trips are going to be a million miles away from anything else you've ever experienced so far.
Reply 9
Thanks so much for the advice and yeah i agree £2000 is an over estimate! I know it will be absolutely amazing but I think I am going to wait until i'm older because I know that it is not borneo that appeals to me just the travelling. Although I'm sure Borneo will be brilliant I just know that I like different types of trips and I think that I would be far too stressed with the amount of time you have to put into it. I would hate to spend the last year of school stressed out because of a trip that I am not even that enthusiastic about. I will hopefully do lots of travelling at uni, i want to teach English abroad. Thanks again :smile: xx
Reply 10
h82think
Who are WC?

World Challenge
Reply 11
IshinryuK
Hi, I am 15 years old and my school is doing a World Challenge trip to Borneo, for one month. It costs £4000 not inc. vaccinations, equipment etc. I really enjoy and try hard at school, i am predicted 8A* and 2A's and am considering applying to Oxbridge for English Lit or Criminology. I also have been doing karate for 6 years and am selecting to represent England next year so I do a lot of extracirriculur activites. Heres the thing - I don't think I can raise that amount of money it's working out to be nearly £6000! It would mean getting a job and I simply do not have time. I would love to travel but am I missing out on too big an opportunity? I do want to travel but I think that is just soooo much money!
thanks xx

I went to Borneo with World Challenge in the summer of 2008. It was absolutely amazing.. I'd give anything to go back and do the same again. You end up paying around £400-1000 on equipment depending on how much you already have and how much you can get second-hand. So I shouldn't think it will cost you more than £5000.

As for the money, I already had had a job from the age of 12 to 16 and earned around £1200 per year. Obviously I didn't want to spend all of my savings so I did some fundraising too, but not as much as some of the others. If you're pro-active, you can organise loads of great money-making things to do. We did bagpacking at the local supermarkets during christmas and easter.. and you earn about £120 a day.. far more than the people working at the tills who you stand next to all day. We got Barclaycard to sponsor us, as they have a large local office, and we got £600 to put toward the group money.
I have to say though, the best way to make the money is to get a job.

I've uploaded all of my best photos from Borneo to Flickr.. so feel free to look through them all:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32369860@N04/sets/72157614913017037/

If you have any more detailed questions about the World Challenge expedition in Borneo you can PM me or ask here :smile:
Reply 12
It really shouldnt be £6000. A lot of the vaccinations are free and you can borrow beg and steal equipment. If you dont haev time for a job try organise one or two big fundraisers- this is what im doing and its working out okay =)

Put it this way - in ten years you're more likely to regret not doing it if you dont, than you are to regret doing it. If that makes sense =S

Shifters
I went to Peru with World Challenge in 2009. Put simply, it was the best experience of my life. The fundraising was a challenge, but my group worked well together and we did a lot of joint fundraising.

Yay glad to hear Peru was good - i'm going in summer. Can't wait =D Any paticular warnings for there? =)
Reply 13
It depends if you're doing north or south Peru, I think World challenge do both.

If you're going to the south, avoid Pisco if you can, the ballestas islands aren't too special and the earthquake that hit several years ago pretty much destroyed everything.

If you want more info on which hostals and reasturants were good and what you do/don't need on the kit list feel free to PM me.
Reply 14
I went to Argentina with World Challenge. It was amazing. I honestly think they are worth the money because they are a reputable company and give you a lot of support with things that I would not have had a clue about when I was 16! If you think you could organize it yourself without them then it's not worth your money. It really depends on you.
I went to Malawi with world challenge at the end of year 11. It was AMAZING. yes, they do make it more expensive than it would be if you went separately without the company, but at 15/16 you wouldn't be going without them :p: They organise all your insurance and stuff and you are perfectly safe. Focus all your energies on a few big fundraisers like silent auctions, pub quiz nights, sponsored abseils etc..and also a lot of bagpacking! (i raised £1500 from that alone over one Christmas).

I doubt it will cost £6000, my trip was £3250 plus equipment + vaccinations etc, so it came to about £4000 in total. I imagine yours will be similar.

There is the option of looking for sponsorship from big companies; my team got £1000 from a building company in return for us doing a presentation to them when we returned, and having a photo of us wearing they're brand in the paper.

Definitely go for it :smile: Good luck with the fundraising - it IS possible :biggrin:
That's an awful lot. Our school ran one to Peru last year (I applied but didn't get in since there was a limited number of spaces and they seemed to just accept people who've done DofE :frown: :mad:) and that cost was £3000. They managed to raise it between them, not having to put much in of their own money. £6000, however, seems like a ridiculous amount! But then, they all said it was amazing so I guess it's worth it?

I'm thinking of doing it independently this, or next, year (Iceland looks awesome and is one of the cheapest, anyone been there? But then I'd like to do some community work which Iceland doesn't offer, so perhaps Romania? If anyone has been to either of these places please PM me let me know what it was like :biggrin:)
Reply 17
You're only 15, you'll have plenty of other chances to do things like this, you're doing Englishy type course at uni so it's not too much of an issue to take a gap year and go galavanting round the world then. E.g. work 6 months anf go crazy for the other.
Reply 18
IshinryuK
thanks xx

What was the point posting anything about your grades?

And how would we know how much money you could raise, hoe.
Reply 19
Yuppie20
What was the point posting anything about your grades?

And how would we know how much money you could raise, hoe.

Well, firstly I thought I would include that I am looking into the elite universities just to give you an idea of my situation - I do not want to jeopardize my chances just for an expedition that I can do later in life. There, that was the point.

Secondly, other people have been to Borneo yano. I'm actually not the first person in the world to go there.
And aren't you mature :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest