The Student Room Group

Lithuanian student in aeronautical engineering

Hey, everyone. :smile: I am Lithuanian and I would like to study aeronautical engineering (or aerospace engineering, or aeronautics & astronautics) in the UK.

I'm going to apply for these universities:
- University of Southampton;
- Imperial College;
- University of Bristol;
- University of Sheffield;
- University of Bath.

My grades are quite good. I have 9/10 from Physics, Maths and IT, and 8/10 from English and Lithuanian languages (all these subject I'm learning are at advanced level).

I would like to know if I have any chances to get offers from these universities. What degree should I choose: BEng or MEng?

I would like to know your opinion about my possibilities and maybe hear some suggestions.

I'm looking forward for an answer.
Agne

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my native language. :colondollar:
I can't rate your chances on getting an offer but I will tell you what you should choose: MEng. The MEng is fast becoming the industry standard degree and there's really no point in doing a BEng any more.
Reply 2
Well you are applying to very good universities which is excellent if you get the grades but not so good if you dont so i would keep your favourite which is in my opinion southampton and sheffield and choose other universities that require lower grades looking at the modules makes them more appealing
Obviously a MEng will be looked at as better a you learn more but employers are always going on about experience so maybe you should consider taking an industrial year
Your english seems pretty good to me but you should check the english requirements for all the universities
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies. I would like to know more opinions, so tell me what do you think.

Finally, I would like to know if there is a possibility to send UCAS form to more than 5 universities? How much would it cost to me?

Again, thanks for the answers! :wink:
No, you can only apply to five universities in the UK.
Reply 5
Thank you for your answers. I've got a little different answer from yours.

Go for it.

The University of Oxford would appear to list your qualifications as acceptable, here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...european_union

The way I see it, you should stand decent chances of getting offers from those unis. Then again, I imagine competition for aerospace engineering is tough, but I don't think having Latvian qualifications puts you at a significant disadvantage.

MEng.
You can always switch from an MEng to a BEng up until (I expect) the second year. That might not be that easy the other way around.

So I think, I will try to apply for universities, I have already listed above. Maybe, I'll change one of them to Queen Mary, I'm not sure yet. Well, I have some time to make a final decision and I should start writing my personal statement.

Thanks for your replies!
Reply 6
Do you have international baccalaureate classes? If not, you will get reject from imperial college, I think.
p.s. bent kiek gird?jau, lietuvi? ten nepriima be IB :smile:
Reply 7
No, I don't have IB.

O, a?i?, kad pranešei, reik?s pasidom?t pla?iau. Tada gal vert?t? Imperial College išmesti savo s?rašo. :smile:
I'm also going to come in here and be a cheerleader for the university of Glasgow, since I'm currently doing 5-year MEng aeronautical engineering there :p:

I'm afraid I'm not sure how the grades translate from your education system to ours, so I can't really comment, but the uni here wants AAAAB scottish highers, or AAB A-levels.
Reply 9
Original post by agnepask
Hey, everyone. :smile: I am Lithuanian and I would like to study aeronautical engineering (or aerospace engineering, or aeronautics & astronautics) in the UK.

I'm going to apply for these universities:
- University of Southampton;
- Imperial College;
- University of Bristol;
- University of Sheffield;
- University of Bath.

My grades are quite good. I have 9/10 from Physics, Maths and IT, and 8/10 from English and Lithuanian languages (all these subject I'm learning are at advanced level).

I would like to know if I have any chances to get offers from these universities. What degree should I choose: BEng or MEng?

I would like to know your opinion about my possibilities and maybe hear some suggestions.

I'm looking forward for an answer.
Agne

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my native language. :colondollar:

There is also the Univeristy of Surrey, which has ranked very highly in league tables for the subject (mainly due to high graduate employment rates). I'm in my 4th year of an MEng here at the moment and highly recommend it, I know a Lithuanian guy who started at the same time as me, did a BEng and is now doing a PhD, so you ar clearly welcome here :tongue:. PM if you have any questions!
Reply 10
Wow, thank you guys! Well, now I'm interested in applying for Glasgow and Surrey Universities. I'll look for more information about both of them. You are really helping me a lot to make a right decision.
Thanks one more time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest