The Student Room Group

Application for psychology

Hey guys

first off im new to this forum so i hope iv put this in the right one if not i am terribly sorry. Lots of points to make I have sent off my UCAS application and two of my choices were two course and Nottingham Trent university. They have jsut recently put the grade boundaries up to ABB. Im worried now that they wont accept me. I got BCD in my results for AS but i am resitting the C and the D which is is socioloigy and music tech respectivly the B is in psychology. Wondering if anyone could give me any like advice/ reassurance/ make me panic more? I also applied for manchester met offering a course for BBB. I have applied to other Unis but i think i set myself to hgh with them as they ask for 2 As and B and the other on ABB. Why did i have to chose such a popular course :/. Anyway there seems to be noone i can talk to about this so thought id turn to the student room for support.

Thanks to anyone who replies i realise its a long post and well im just crapping myself tbh.
Your grade boundaries do look high for the grades you got last year. Why didn't you give yourself a low back up as an insurance?
I dont know i jsut thought that manchester metropolitan would be low enough when i looked at it again its quite high. :/
i thought 300 points was alot lower than it is :frown:
Original post by themanwhoishere
I dont know i jsut thought that manchester metropolitan would be low enough when i looked at it again its quite high. :/

Oh okay, don't panic. You could always go into clearing or extra if you didn't get any offers, and of course you could reapply. But there is still a chance you could get an offer. :smile::smile:
Resits.

I wouldn't bother studying Psych at a uni below ABB requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Resits.

I wouldn't bother studying Psych at a uni below ABB requirements.

What precisely are your reasons for that?

OP- I agree with nmh re. clearing/reapplying etc. but there is a good chance of you getting an offer to one or more of the unis you applied to. Good luck :smile:
Original post by hayheyley
What precisely are your reasons for that?

Because Psychology is one of the most oversaturated graduate fields there is. Way too many Psych grads are churned out every year and most of them expect to enter the same handful of jobs.

I know so many graduates who have wanted to go into Clinical or Forensic, only to apply to every single AP job from Scotland to Cornwall and not get a single interview. Positions like these receive hundreds of applications in the first 24hrs, just for ONE place.

Therefore, you need to be as absolutely competitive as possible and going to a university that used to be a leisure centre is not the way to go.
Reply 8
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Because Psychology is one of the most oversaturated graduate fields there is. Way too many Psych grads are churned out every year and most of them expect to enter the same handful of jobs.

I know so many graduates who have wanted to go into Clinical or Forensic, only to apply to every single AP job from Scotland to Cornwall and not get a single interview. Positions like these receive hundreds of applications in the first 24hrs, just for ONE place.

Therefore, you need to be as absolutely competitive as possible and going to a university that used to be a leisure centre is not the way to go.

I understand the competition but I'm not sure that entry requirements are an entirely accurate representation of the quality of a university. For example, Keele asks for 300-320 points and Bangor 280-320 however I would say that Bangor's department is significantly more respected. I do understand that neither would compare to Russell Group universities but I still think entry requirements can't be the only measure by which to distinguish better/worse universities.
Original post by hayheyley
I understand the competition but I'm not sure that entry requirements are an entirely accurate representation of the quality of a university. For example, Keele asks for 300-320 points and Bangor 280-320 however I would say that Bangor's department is significantly more respected. I do understand that neither would compare to Russell Group universities but I still think entry requirements can't be the only measure by which to distinguish better/worse universities.

It's a rule of thumb. There are going to be anomalies. Bangor, for example, is often citing for giving low offers due to the fact that nobody wants to study in such an isolated location.

Generally, however, the point remains.
Reply 10
I was just browsing the forums regarding my own problems when this caught my eye so I signed up especially just to reply :smile:

I also applied to Nottingham Trent for Psychology to start 2011 as a post-results application with A-levels of A in Psychology, B in History and D in Biology. I'm to retake the biology, my teacher has predicted me another D (thanks sir). The requirements were 300 points when I sent my application off for processing at my college (I have 320 including other points from AS-levels so thought I'd definitely get in) but I got rejected. Confused, when I looked back on the website it had changed to ABB. They said my prediction wasn't good enough for my biology retake because I would be two grades short if that was accurate.

So with your current grades I don't think you would get in, unless of course your teachers recognise you could do better and have made you higher predicitons matching their requirements. They seem to be quite tight to be honest, the only other response I've got so far is from Northumbria - same requirements but I have got a conditional offer from them at least.

Hope this was hopefull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending