The Student Room Group

I think I'm overdoing it

Basically, I just wanted to know if anyone is experiencing or has experienced the same...

I've been revising for a number of weeks now, and now my week usually consists of, go to college: do some lessons, do some work go home and do more work. I now have my offers, this is all well and good but I now find myself under so much pressure, and it came to friday... I think this is where my body tried to tell me that I've been overdoing it, with the stress of exams, meeting my offer, coursework deadlines... I started to have a panic attack.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? or have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are definitely overdoing it. Take some time to chill out between your work periods. How long has it been since you've gone out at the weekend?
Yeah you need to chill a bit. I was similar to you at one point, I worked too much and started having panic attacks not sleeping. Try giving yourself one or two evenings off a week, or having the weekends off to pursue something other than work. Even something small like going for a walk once you've finished your revision can work wonders.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot, I know if it goes on like this; it will most probably have a detrimental effect on my education anyway!
The bit of advice that I can give you is to try and put the panic attack out of your head. The cause of a lot of panic attacks for regular sufferers is the fear of having a panic attack.. as silly as that might sound. You just have to remember that panic won't kill you, and you just need to relax and breathe deep until it passes.

You're certainly doing too much though- just work out what you really NEED to do, rather than feeling pressured to totally kill yourself over it..

Hope it gets better for you :frown: xxx
Reply 5
If you've been revising for a number of weeks now, I think it's absolutely FINE to take a week off and rest. It's your last week of school/college I presume, so just go to school for this week, do the necessary homework etc & work again in the holidays! You'll be fine!
Go to the gym in the evenings and clubbing at weekends
Reply 7
Original post by xPixie
If you've been revising for a number of weeks now, I think it's absolutely FINE to take a week off and rest. It's your last week of school/college I presume, so just go to school for this week, do the necessary homework etc & work again in the holidays! You'll be fine!

Yeah I was thinking about doing that, the only problem with that is you end-up feeling guilty! Congrats on your Dentistry interviews by the way, the majority of my Dentistry buddies haven't heard anything yet!
Reply 8
Original post by haydyb123
Yeah I was thinking about doing that, the only problem with that is you end-up feeling guilty! Congrats on your Dentistry interviews by the way, the majority of my Dentistry buddies haven't heard anything yet!

Really! You don't have to worry!! I haven't really started revising yet :s-smilie: I'm such a procrastinator :tongue: Don't worry, you're going to be fine! You have the whole of the x-mas holidays.. If you don't want to give up this week, I say work till Friday. Then give yourself one week of x-mas holidays to relax! You are definitely over-doing it. Chill out, organise a day out with friends, do some shopping, sales etc :smile:

Awwh and thank you :smile: What have you applied for? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xPixie
Really! You don't have to worry!! I haven't really started revising yet :s-smilie: I'm such a procrastinator :tongue: Don't worry, you're going to be fine! You have the whole of the x-mas holidays.. If you don't want to give up this week, I say work till Friday. Then give yourself one week of x-mas holidays to relax! You are definitely over-doing it. Chill out, organise a day out with friends, do some shopping, sales etc :smile:

Awwh and thank you :smile: What have you applied for? :smile:

Chemistry, although ironically, I was seconds from pressing send on UCAS before I realised my heart wasn't in Dentistry. However my work experience definitely put me in good steed, I just shifted the emphasis a bit on why I did it.
Reply 10
Chemistry, although ironically, I was seconds from pressing send on UCAS before I realised my heart wasn't in Dentistry. However my work experience definitely put me in good steed, I just shifted the emphasis a bit on why I did it.

Ahh, I've just read your sig & I'm guessing your first choice is UCL and their offer is AAB :biggrin: I'm guessing you're quite a smartie if you were going to apply for Dentistry.. Mind me asking you what you got for AS? Because I'm sure you'll be fine & can give yourself a break :smile:
Reply 11
I woke up at 5:30 this morning with a high pulse rate and I felt on edge. I'd just had a dream about not getting my coursework in on time. It doesn't sound like much, but at the time it was quite scary and worrying. To answer your question, I think most feel it around this time of year, or at least will do soon. I have four exams in January that I haven't even started revising for, which is a worry...
I pretty much did the same thing during my A-levels- can't say it had the best outcome as i made myself quite ill
Reply 13
Original post by xPixie
Ahh, I've just read your sig & I'm guessing your first choice is UCL and their offer is AAB :biggrin: I'm guessing you're quite a smartie if you were going to apply for Dentistry.. Mind me asking you what you got for AS? Because I'm sure you'll be fine & can give yourself a break :smile:

I hadn't been to UCL before my interview, I got there and just thought: wow.

AS:
Biology - A
History - A
Psychology - A
Chemistry - B - don't get me started!
Reply 14
I hadn't been to UCL before my interview, I got there and just thought: wow.

AS:
Biology - A
History - A
Psychology - A
Chemistry - B - don't get me started!

Oh my gosh, you'll be finee hun! Don't stresss! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by xPixie
Oh my gosh, you'll be finee hun! Don't stresss! :smile:

I bloody hope so, I think I will just have a week of 'fun'. Thanks for the advice, let me know how your Dentistry goes, I would love to know what the interviews are like!
Reply 16
I bloody hope so, I think I will just have a week of 'fun'. Thanks for the advice, let me know how your Dentistry goes, I would love to know what the interviews are like!

No worries :smile: Hope you're able to de-stress :smile: Also! Try to forget about exams while you relax, as that defeats the purpose of chilling out :tongue:
I've spent this weekend completely chilling - a max of 2 hours of work! After spending such a long time revising for my mocks, including personal issues, I realised I needed a break. I know there's a lot left to learn but I suppose I deserve a break, so do you. Before you completely exhaust yourself, I seriously suggest you take a day off or something.
Reply 18
Original post by Tzarchasm
I've spent this weekend completely chilling - a max of 2 hours of work! After spending such a long time revising for my mocks, including personal issues, I realised I needed a break. I know there's a lot left to learn but I suppose I deserve a break, so do you. Before you completely exhaust yourself, I seriously suggest you take a day off or something.

Cheers for the advice man, there's a lot of similarities in your paragraph!
Reply 19
Get laid.

Problem solved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending