The Student Room Group

Would you lie to a friend about their body?

Hi.

Okay, so when I was about 15/16 I was happy with my body. I developed early so my boobs were the same size as they are now, and I had just developed full hips. I didn't have a belly and overall was pleased with my figure. It was then that I got a reputation among my friends for having a good figure.

I'm 18 now and have gained quite a lot of weight since then. I'm still a size 8, but my general shape has got a lot bigger (most noticably in the belly area.) It's something that I'm paranoid about, but anytime I ask my friends I'm told I'm being ridiculous and that I've always had a good body.

So, what I want to know is

A) Would you lie to your friend about their body? (Maybe they need to tone up a little?)
B) Is having quite a big belly a huge turn off? I am naturally curvy, but it comes with a price!
C) Is there anyway to tell by myself if I need to lose weight/tone up?

Ps. In before "Pics or GTFO." I'm anon for a reason.

Scroll to see replies

Yes I would lie to a friend about their body, but seriously now you're a size 8 - unless you're 4ft tall then I really can't see how you could possibly be fat.

If you're worried about not being toned enough then get yourself to the gym, no one on here can help you in that respect.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I wouldn't lie but I would give you tips on how to improve your body.
Reply 3
A) When people ask questions about how they look they're usually just asking for reassurance that they look good. You're not going to get many people giving you 100% honest opinions. This becomes a problem when they honestly do think you look good but you refuse to believe them.

B) Everyone has a different idea of what a 'big' belly is. You could look down and see a mountain of flab, and I could just think it's normal. Are you skinnier/bigger than your friends? If so, do you think they are fat? that's usually a good starting point.

C) If you are asking these questions, then you aren't happy with the way you look. Would you be more confident with your body if you were more toned?
Original post by Pink_butterfly
Yes I would lie to a friend about their body, but seriously now you're a size 8 - unless you're 4ft tall then I really can't see how you could possibly be fat.

If you're worried about not being toned enough then get yourself to the gym, no one on here can help you in that respect.

This, really. I can't see how you could be 'fat' if you're a size 8 :lolwut:
Reply 5
Okay, I'm not "fat". I do feel like I'm flabby/chubby though. I wobble far more than I should.
Reply 6
Original post by ctarling
A) When people ask questions about how they look they're usually just asking for reassurance that they look good. You're not going to get many people giving you 100% honest opinions. This becomes a problem when they honestly do think you look good but you refuse to believe them.

B) Everyone has a different idea of what a 'big' belly is. You could look down and see a mountain of flab, and I could just think it's normal. Are you skinnier/bigger than your friends? If so, do you think they are fat? that's usually a good starting point.

C) If you are asking these questions, then you aren't happy with the way you look. Would you be more confident with your body if you were more toned?

A) I just want honest opinions though. I can't help feeling like I'm not getting it. :emo:

B) My friends are a lot thinner than me, in my opinion. I seem to have made a habit out of making friends with really pretty, thin people. Admittedly, this doesn't help my confidence.

C) I would be a lot more happy, yes. I've tried to tone up though. It just made me more upset about it. I think I expected results a lot more quickly than I was getting them.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi.

Okay, so when I was about 15/16 I was happy with my body. I developed early so my boobs were the same size as they are now, and I had just developed full hips. I didn't have a belly and overall was pleased with my figure. It was then that I got a reputation among my friends for having a good figure.

I'm 18 now and have gained quite a lot of weight since then. I'm still a size 8, but my general shape has got a lot bigger (most noticably in the belly area.) It's something that I'm paranoid about, but anytime I ask my friends I'm told I'm being ridiculous and that I've always had a good body.

So, what I want to know is

A) Would you lie to your friend about their body? (Maybe they need to tone up a little?)
B) Is having quite a big belly a huge turn off? I am naturally curvy, but it comes with a price!
C) Is there anyway to tell by myself if I need to lose weight/tone up?

Ps. In before "Pics or GTFO." I'm anon for a reason.

If you have boobs and hips then there's no possible way you could have a belly and still be a size 8.
Reply 8
Original post by naomidawn
If you have boobs and hips then there's no possible way you could have a belly and still be a size 8.

Well...I do?
I probably would, depending on how good friends i was with the person asking me. For example if it was someone i've known since childhood, and they asked me for my honest opinion, i'd tell them, but in a nice way.

If it was someone i'd known a year or so and wasn't terribly good friends with, most likely not.

N.B. I say this because I like to think my friends would do the same for me. Actually they already did when i put on about 2 stone, asked one of my best friends and she said honestly that i'd put on weight, but that as i was tall it wasn't too noticeable and i could pull it off. I decided to lose it anyway, but it was nice to know they would tell me the truth.
Then the best solution is not to lose any weight (size 8 indicates to me that you're very slim) but to tone up those bits that seem to be 'flabby'. You're probably just insecure but you could tone your stomach/waist area by doing a good amount of sit ups each day or something like the hula hoop.
Reply 11
I've been told that I can't spot reduce though. I can't just lose weight/flab off one area.
Reply 12
I wouldn't exactly lie to them, I'd give them help. I don't really have any overweight friends so I've never had to do this, but wouldn't want to feel guilty by giving my friends false hopes or w/e
Reply 13
People can look 'fat' at several sizes - you've probably got an unfortunate shape (extra belly instead of gaining on your butt/hips). Who cares what friends say anyway? Is it their job to make you feel good about yourself, and then you expect it to last? If you're unhappy, deal with it. If your body looks untrained and not very feminine, you'll be miserable during bikini season even if you're friends have tried to make you feel better.
Personally, I always try to avoid the subject. Why do people ask others about stuff like that, don't they have a mirror? Most of the time, a fat person will either a) look at me and know I'm lying, or b) be hurt I was honest.
Reply 14
Tell the truth. Sometimes it hurts to learn the truth.

But sometimes you have to be honest and thats what makes life challenging.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been told that I can't spot reduce though. I can't just lose weight/flab off one area.

What are the body parts you feel insecure about? Sit-ups certainly help tone your stomach and waistline area, so if that's the only concern, then sit ups are a good start. People have an inclination to undermine themselves and are more insecure about features that aren't even noticeable to anyone else. You might even just be paranoid like what everyone gets once in a while.
Reply 16
Original post by DanielleT192
What are the body parts you feel insecure about? Sit-ups certainly help tone your stomach and waistline area, so if that's the only concern, then sit ups are a good start. People have an inclination to undermine themselves and are more insecure about features that aren't even noticeable to anyone else. You might even just be paranoid like what everyone gets once in a while.

My stomach is pretty much the only bit I'm worried about. I just feel really insecure about how overly wobbly it seems.
Theres no point doing sit ups without losing fat... you are just going to build up muscle with the fat lying over the top of it.

Cardio is the way to go plus your resistance training plus a clean diet.
Reply 18
First to answer your questions.
A. Depends entirely on the situation/person I'm talking too. I think its about striking a balance between being rude/considerate of the other persons feelings and plain honesty.
B. How big is "big"? I like curvy gals, but I'm not exactly turned on by morbidly obese people :/
C. Getting the mental motivation to actually do something that will make a change to your lifestyle is hard! It can be even more stressful if you expect too much too soon. (You're not going to loose 3lbs overnight). Also if you don't keep up your routine once you lost the weight you could just end up putting it right back on. You need to bear this stuff in mind before embarking on a weight loss journey to avoid getting bummed out.

Second
If you want an honest opinion from someone on the forum about the way you look, why not post a photo with any determining characteristics blocked out. e.g. face (Ms Paint o_0 ?)

Original post by DanielleT192

Finally
Sit-ups may help develop abdominal strength but they won't "cut" the fat around your belly. Weight loss just doesn't work that way. Without a change to your diet and a regular workout routine/regimen, I doubt doing Sit-ups by themselves would get you the results you are looking for and could just demoralize you.
(also what is more boring then doing endless sit-ups.. erugh)

If you go in with a half-assed attitude you’ll get half assed results. (or even quarter assed :O )

For a good set of results you should look at designing a plan which incorporates both cardio and resistance training. No, lifting weights will not turn you into a super butch lady built of muscles; forget about it, you don't have the testosterone for that to be a possibility.
It will however complement the cardio and aide your weight loss.

Once you have your routine stick to it! 90% of people give up after about 3-4 weeks (yes I totally just made that statistic up, however I do get the impression that’s how long most people put into it before giving up.)

No a gym membership is not essential for weight loss. It can help, but it can also be a hindrance (there is a strong tendency to go to the gym with friends and spend most of your time chatting/mucking about when you should be pushing yourself as hard as you can.)
If you’re stuck for ideas about how to exercise without going to the gym google is only a few clicks away

Dang Scarlett beat me to the punch :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by MickyT
First to answer your questions.
A. Depends entirely on the situation/person I'm talking too. I think its about striking a balance between being rude/considerate of the other persons feelings and plain honesty.
B. How big is "big"? I like curvy gals, but I'm not exactly turned on by morbidly obese people :/
C. Getting the mental motivation to actually do something that will make a change to your lifestyle is hard! It can be even more stressful if you expect too much too soon. (You're not going to loose 3lbs overnight). Also if you don't keep up your routine once you lost the weight you could just end up putting it right back on. You need to bear this stuff in mind before embarking on a weight loss journey to avoid getting bummed out.

Second
If you want an honest opinion from someone on the forum about the way you look, why not post a photo with any determining characteristics blocked out. e.g. face (Ms Paint o_0 ?)

Finally
Sit-ups may help develop abdominal strength but they won't "cut" the fat around your belly. Weight loss just doesn't work that way. Without a change to your diet and a regular workout routine/regimen, I doubt doing Sit-ups by themselves would get you the results you are looking for and could just demoralize you.
(also what is more boring then doing endless sit-ups.. erugh)

If you go in with a half-assed attitude you’ll get half assed results. (or even quarter assed :O )

For a good set of results you should look at designing a plan which incorporates both cardio and resistance training. No, lifting weights will not turn you into a super butch lady built of muscles; forget about it, you don't have the testosterone for that to be a possibility.
It will however complement the cardio and aide your weight loss.

Once you have your routine stick to it! 90% of people give up after about 3-4 weeks (yes I totally just made that statistic up, however I do get the impression that’s how long most people put into it before giving up.)

No a gym membership is not essential for weight loss. It can help, but it can also be a hindrance (there is a strong tendency to go to the gym with friends and spend most of your time chatting/mucking about when you should be pushing yourself as hard as you can.)
If you’re stuck for ideas about how to exercise without going to the gym google is only a few clicks away

Dang Scarlett beat me to the punch :tongue:

Spoiler

I decided to go braless to get a more honest picture of what my body is like... After taking them, I think the main issues are my belly (you can see the overhang) and my arms (they look massive!) How do I make my arms look smaller without going all muscly.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending