The Student Room Group

Question About Firm + Insurance Choices

I have received offers from the 2 choices I wanted, one local the other being far away. I plan to live at home for the local one thus wouldn't need accommodation and this would be my first choice.

The far away one would be my insurance choice as im guaranteed a place.

What would be wrong me putting the one I'd want firmed second on UCAS as I have no needs to sort out accommodation, this would allow me to put my second choice first and have sorted accommodation. On the results day I can reject the far away university (Which is my firm on UCAS but truly my insurance) if I get the grades for both. This would allow me to have accommodation sorted for both choices regardless of what happens.

Is this allowed/is there any negatives?
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I have received offers from the 2 choices I wanted, one local the other being far away. I plan to live at home for the local one thus wouldn't need accommodation and this would be my first choice.

What would be wrong me putting the one I'd want firmed second on UCAS as I have no needs to sort out accommodation, this would allow me to put my second choice first and have sorted accommodation. On the results day I can reject the far away university (Which is my firm on UCAS but truly my insurance) if I get the grades for both. This would allow me to have accommodation sorted for both choices regardless of what happens.

No, that's not possible - you don't get a choice on results day. Say you had it set up like this and achieved the grades for your firm/actual second choice. Your insurance/actual first choice would be informed you wouldn't be needing their place, and so it would be let go of.
Original post by TheSownRose
No, that's not possible - you don't get a choice on results day. Say you had it set up like this and achieved the grades for your firm/actual second choice. Your insurance/actual first choice would be informed you wouldn't be needing their place, and so it would be let go of.

What if I email them beforehand with the arrangements, and tell them I'll firm them if I get the grades.
What if I email them beforehand with the arrangements, and tell them I'll firm them if I get the grades.

They might agree to accept you in Clearing, but to be honest it's quite unlikely.
They might agree to accept you in Clearing, but to be honest it's quite unlikely.

Ah so I have to put Loughborough first and hope I either get the grades, or are lenient if I miss out by one. If not I have to go Sussex without my accommodation sorted.
Ah so I have to put Loughborough first and hope I either get the grades, or are lenient if I miss out by one. If not I have to go Sussex without my accommodation sorted.

Pretty much, yeah, although don't hope, just work hard. :wink:

Sorry.
Reply 6
Pretty much, yeah, although don't hope, just work hard. :wink:

Sorry.

I thought that you could actually change between your firm and insurance on results day..? You ring up your firm and ask them to release you..? Or am I thinking of something else lol.
Original post by lolololol
I thought that you could actually change between your firm and insurance on results day..? You ring up your firm and ask them to release you..? Or am I thinking of something else lol.

Sort of...

Before results day (actually, before a week prior to results day, because then the unis make their final decisions), you can ask your firm to reject you so that your insurance becomes the only offer you're holding.

However, do this on results day and you enter Clearing because your insurance has let go of you already. You can then contact your insurance, but they may not accept you.
Reply 8
Sort of...

Before results day (actually, before a week prior to results day, because then the unis make their final decisions), you can ask your firm to reject you so that your insurance becomes the only offer you're holding.

However, do this on results day and you enter Clearing because your insurance has let go of you already. You can then contact your insurance, but they may not accept you.

Ah, I see, thanks!:smile:
Reply 9

You may be apply to apply for halls at your insurance uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending