The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL's Nerd Population

I can genuinely say that I am a "nerd" by this definition:

(1) I have a posh totty accent.
(2) I pepper my language with unnecessarily advanced vocabulary.
(3) I study. Hard.

I do not, however, "look" like a nerd. I am fashionable and good-looking and do date a lot.

My question is: does UCL's "nerd population" equate to much? Do "misfits" "fit in" at UCL, or are they a minority?

My presumption is that the vast majority of UCL students are bright - how could they not be? But there is a fine line between "brightness" and elements of "nerdiness" (by my definition), i.e. generally quite a posh demeanour, etc.

Scroll to see replies

gosh posh accents at a top ten uni? nah probably not
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Haha. Species such as yours travel in herds. No worries. :wink:
Original post by Sijia
Haha. Species such as yours travel in herds. No worries. :wink:

And your explanation for being so patronising is...? The OP asked a legitimate question. He/she is clearly generic Oxbridge material and wants to know whether this is compatible with a more contemporary, urban albeit similarly successful University such as UCL.
Watch your mouth, son. TSR is crawling with nerds. Trust me, we're not about to appreciate your moronic comment.
Original post by Scientific Calculator
And your explanation for being so patronising is...? The OP asked a legitimate question. He/she is clearly generic Oxbridge material and wants to know whether this is compatible with a more contemporary, urban albeit similarly successful University such as UCL.
Watch your mouth, son. TSR is crawling with nerds. Trust me, we're not about to appreciate your moronic comment.

That is very touching. Yet her comment was more than appropriate.
Original post by Scientific Calculator

He isn't even particularly clear about what his question is.
You aren't a nerd unless you study a really competitive course i.e. law/economics/medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by littleshambles
He isn't even particularly clear about what his question is.

What?
advanced in that sense is interchangeable with pretentious and superfluous
when you truly master advanced language, it becomes not only the pepper, but the whole damn steak, " you old bean"
Reply 9
Crikey! You're a pretentious little one, aren't you dear. :rolleyes:
Original post by bluebird2010
You aren't a nerd unless you study a really competitive course i.e. law/economics/medicine.

Oiii I'm no nerd and I'm going to UCL Law next year (grade dependent ofc)
Original post by Limbic System
What?

When you say "nerd population", do you mean nerdy in the sense that you fit the definition of nerdy or nerdy in the more traditional sense? It isn't immediately clear.

If you mean the latter, no. There are lots of the people you so verbosely described in your OP. They're called middle-class students.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've met a few posh people. Tbh, there's all sort of people here - so anyone can fit in. Most people are quite relaxed about things though, and it's not just full of nerds.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
When you say "nerd population", do you mean nerdy in the sense that you fit the definition of nerdy or nerdy in the more traditional sense? It isn't immediately clear.

If you mean the latter, no. There are lots of the people you so verbosely described in your OP. They're called middle-class students.

For future reference, it's "more" italics, not moar.

It most certainly was the latter. And no, they aren't necessarily middle-class, as you so "verbosely" pointed out. I do not consider myself middleclass. But that doesn't stop me from being or sounding like someone further up the social hierarchy.
Reply 14
Original post by Waterstorm
I've met a few posh people. Tbh, there's all sort of people here - so anyone can fit in. Most people are quite relaxed about things though, and it's not just full of nerds.

That's pretty much what I was hoping for, thanks. :smile:
For future reference, it's "more" italics, not moar.

lol you sure showed me... How much of a **** you were capable of making yourself look.

It most certainly was the latter. And no, they aren't necessarily middle-class, as you so "verbosely" pointed out. I do not consider myself middleclass. But that doesn't stop me from being or sounding like someone further up the social hierarchy.

I didn't say they were necessarily middle class.
Reply 16
lol you sure showed me... How much of a **** you were capable of making yourself look.

I didn't say they were necessarily middle class.

I think you did, twinkletoes.

Source: your previous (badly informed) post.

Goodbye.
I think you did, twinkletoes.

Source: your previous (badly informed) post.

Goodbye.

Oh well. Least I'm not a pedantic, self-important ****er.
Being posh and well spoken doesn't make you a nerd, it makes you a posh toff. In my view, a nerd is someone who studies very hard, achieves good grades, and often has little social life because of this. You'll get all types at any uni, just hang around with the people you feel comfortable with.
Reply 19
Oh well. Least I'm not a pedantic, self-important ****er.

I love the way you resort to showering trivial (and - yet again - badly informed) abuse from behind a computer screen. How genius.
And oh dear! I believe it was a case of your post not being "immediately clear"!

What goes around comes around :wink:

Now goodbye, dear. I have a lot of work to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending