The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DancinBallerina
This year I am not expecting much, and tbh I wasn't expecting a lot anyway. There isn't anything I need or want, the most important thing to me on xmas day is family.

My Dad works on Christmas Day every year :sad:
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Anyone else think wtf at the amount of people that still have stockings? Reeeally?!

:lol: No! My Dad is 40 and he still gets a stocking :awesome:
Original post by DesignFreak
which is weird since her dad also pays her university fees. (seen it in another thread)
can't be that poor.

Yup, thats true. He does. But he isn't rich either.....after he's finished paying the bills, and sent money down to me, and bought his weekly food shop (which isn't much), he only has about £5 left over, so he isn't exactly living the rich lifestyle.

That money for my uni fees has been saved over the years since I was a child, he's just very good at saving.
I immediately think youre a fantastic person. I'd very much like to see you backhand OP and take her presents and then break them.

Well thats not very nice is it. That's right yeah, I deserve a bashing :rolleyes:
Original post by Melting Sugar.
or in a heck of a lot of debt..

Nope, no debt. My Dad is very big on staying out of debt. He doesn't buy anything unless he already has the money for it. A good habit which he has passed onto me :yep:
Original post by Lewroll
30-40!?:eek: What the actual ****ing hell?!
Is this normal?
I think i need to have a few words with my parents
I get about 5 from my parents (at the most)
I average about 3
Calm down Lewroll, its about the giving, not the receiving...who the flip am i kidding, its about the receiving!!!

It doesn't appear to be normal from what i'm seeing on this forum........but my friends appear to get around about the same amount as me. I actually had a friend in the past who used to get a lot more than what I get. And I know i'm spoilt, but again, I thought that was the norm from parents. :dontknow:
Original post by DH-Biker
Yeah, I get a few as well. My mum is the only person I've met who enjoys getting people things to just see the look on their faces, not because they have too. And my Grandparents, too, like to get people gifts also... Meh, maybe I'm just spoilt.
Still, I get lots of presents for my family as well, so I don't just get 'em and give nothing back. We're a very Christmas-y family, though; and likewise with Birthday's too we all pitch in for each other.
I don't think, on reflection, it is due to being spoilt, actually. I think its more we're just far to giving. :p:

Same with us. There is only 3 of us really close (Dad, Gran, Me), so at Christmas we all buy loads for each other - because we like to see each others faces ha. And I like wrapping up :colondollar:
Reply 187
lol, about 10
Reply 188
Original post by CookieDoughLove
How strange. My Dad is not rich, he just saves a lot over the year.

I used to watch tv soaps and say wow, why do they only get like 1 gift, people aren't like that in real life, how wrong was I! Apparantly I am ignorant to the situation :colondollar:

This must be a culture thing. I'm not rich or poor. Though I do know some very rich people. They only get one big and expensive gift as well. I've never heard of anyone getting loads of gifts (unless they're Dudley Dursley)
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Nope, no debt. My Dad is very big on staying out of debt. He doesn't buy anything unless he already has the money for it. A good habit which he has passed onto me :yep:

:dontknow:

My parents are exactly the same.

I guess my parents use their savings to buy a house and keep up with payments on the lease for our car instead of spending it all on us at christmas, which in all fairness is perfectly understandable.
(edited 13 years ago)
30-40 presents is a sickeningly ridiculous amount of presents. To be honest, even the 10-12 gifts your friends get from their parents is ridiculous.

I get normally maybe 2-3 things from my mam, for example a bottle of perfume, a cardigan, and something like tea-towels.
From my dad I either get 1 present, or money (this year money).

My kids get their main present (say maybe £25-£30 worth) from santa (i.e. we buy it but label it from santa), plus 1 small (say £5 worth) present also from santa.
Then they get two medium presents each from me and my husband (so maybe £7-£15 each present)

So that's 4 presents each child bought by my husband and I. That is perfectly adequate.

The rest of the presents they get from other family members. (my mam, my dad, hubby's mam, my uncle, my aunt, hubby's two sisters, my best mate who is the kids' godmother) so that's an extra 8 presents each child.

That's enough to swamp a child! 12 presents in total each! They get bored after opening the first five!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ilora-Danon
We've got her a matching handbag and purse from a shop called Pia Jewellery, A selection of Jo Malone perfume, a Links of London charm for her bracelet and a luxury dressing gown from John Lewis oh and Judi Dench's autobiography lol. She asked for the purse and handbag, but we said we couldn't do the perfume as well - due to a lack of funding, so she's going to be absolutely chuffed when she sees the perfume as well :colondollar:

...I just brought my mum the new Ellie Goulding CD 0.o
Reply 192
I'm an only child so I get more than the "norm" as I see it, I usually get one expensive thing (this year a new phone) and about 10-12 less expensive things from my parents, books, CDs, chocolate etc. Some of my friends get more, some get less. I got more when I was little and it's gradually going down as I get older, which is the way it should be, since to be honest nowadays I enjoy Christmas more just because I'm with family rather than because of the presents.

I get a lot from one of my aunts, since she only has me and her two grandsons to buy for and likes to be very extravagant and go "all out" on these things. As for the rest of the family, we have an agreement that we just give cards, as most of the rest of our close family live in Australia, New Zealand or across the country. I used to get things from family friends, but my parents asked them to stop (although we're very grateful) which I think is definitely fair as I'm 18 now!

Edit: that's not including a stocking, but my family usually completely forgets to get the stockings out :L
(edited 13 years ago)
Used to get one main present and maybe 3 or 4 others - books/dvds etc.
This year there isn't really anything big that I want, though. Will probably have one or two more small presents.
I don't know. More than I ask for, but I don't count them. I'd say they get me quite a lot, including what's in the ol' stocking, but I still have to pretend that's from Father Christmas for my little sister's sake :p:
I probably get about the same as you (including stocking presents)

I think it's too much, I always tell my Mum not to buy me so many because I only buy 3/4 for her and my Dad. I think it's because she's so organised and starts buying presents in like October so she always sees more and more things when she's bought loads already and doesn't realise!
Reply 196
Anyone else think wtf at the amount of people that still have stockings? Reeeally?!

I still have a stocking, mainly because I've got two younger brothers so they get one, so I do too. Also, it's just part of the christmas tradition! Waking up ridiculously early to open it. I really don't think stockings are the most shocking thing about this thread!
I never really pay much attention to exactly how many presents I get. Usually I get the latest Doctor Who boxset (:ahee:) and then a few DVDs and books, maybe some clothes.
Original post by squareroot1764
I never really pay much attention to exactly how many presents I get. Usually I get the latest Doctor Who boxset (:ahee:) and then a few DVDs and books, maybe some clothes.

I would so rep you for this, but it won't let me.
I'm 18 but i still get loads of little Doctor Who things from family members.
One or two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending