The Student Room Group

People who have quit Uni - POST HERE!

So I'm in my 2nd year of law. And I haven't actually gone back to uni since the end of first year. I'm having panic attacks along with a multitude of other problems and yacht been able to go back. Fortunately, uni have let me work from home, but I can't do that for much longer. My panic attacks are triggered by being in claustrophobic areas and not being in control. So I can't get on trains, go on holiday, get in a car that I'm not driving, be in a room that's locked.. I'm messed up. I'm having counselling but there's only so much they can do. So I see that my only option is to drop out of uni which I really don't want to do because I want my degree but it's proving impossible..

I was wondering if people could share their experiences of dropping out of uni, or someone they knows experience and what they have been doing since.

Thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go back to Uni where the rooms are bigger and you are in control of what you wanna do?
My mate dropped out of uni. Best thing he ever did. Sometimes you just can't put countryside bumpkins in the city. It just breaks them.

He's now looking forward to getting married and has a child and honestly seems happier than I've seen for a long time.
Original post by Hooj
Go back to Uni where the rooms are bigger and you are in control of what you wanna do?

I can't go back to uni because I can't get there.
Original post by mikeyd85
My mate dropped out of uni. Best thing he ever did. Sometimes you just can't put countryside bumpkins in the city. It just breaks them.

He's now looking forward to getting married and has a child and honestly seems happier than I've seen for a long time.

Ooo I'm from leeds :smile: well at least things have worked out for him!
Reply 5
Did you have the claustrophobia and anxiety before uni - or is it something that developed after the start of the course?

Anyway I dropped out years ago... looking back I reckon it was depression though I didn't get a diagnosis at the time. can't say things went smoothly for me after but I'm still here and back on a different course doing something unrelated.
My contribution:

Spent a year or so preparing for an arts degree, and finally got into my most-wanted university. Everything is brilliant; couldn't be better! Though not even two months goes by where I had an epiphany of sorts, and realised this simply wasn't what I wanted to do. My raison d'etre in life; my joie de vivre had simply transformed into an intimate interest. Nothing more.

This isn't bad, no. It's simply become completely obvious to me that my other interests have become my primary target now. I guess I simply pigeonholed myself into thinking this is what I wanted (though it really did feel like it). It's not just a matter of being a dunderhead and not thinking things through. If somebody had asked me six months ago 'Is this what you want to do for years to come?', I would have said 'yes' instantly; without a doubt.

My parents understand, my friends understand, and everybody on my course is sorry to see me go, as brief as our union was.
Original post by Joinedup
Did you have the claustrophobia and anxiety before uni - or is it something that developed after the start of the course?

Anyway I dropped out years ago... looking back I reckon it was depression though I didn't get a diagnosis at the time. can't say things went smoothly for me after but I'm still here and back on a different course doing something unrelated.

After I had started the course. I had been taken advantage of by 2 guys quite early on in the semester. It made things very difficult between me and my boyfriend , and it made me never want to drink again, I wanted to be in full control so nothing like that could happen again. I became reclusive because I was sick of ring asked why I wasn't drinking and became to be seen as someone who wasn't fun. I ended up going home more and more and menand my flatmates all fell out no one was talking to each other. I'm very lucky in the fact that me and my parents are extremely close and they've understood and helped me a great deal I suppose. But the people I was supposed to be living with in a house have grown close to each other, have made plans for next year and stuff, and here's me at home, watching everyone get on with their lives.
Original post by insignificant
yacht been able to go back.

Excellent.
Original post by SillyRodent
Excellent.

Sorry, I'm on my iPhone , predictive text..
Hiya! I didn't drop out of uni (in my third year I was given the option of leaving, which I declined, but that's irrelevant to my point here...) but just wanted to ask whether you'd been offered CBT, or whether it's something you'd considered at all? It just struck me that it's something that could possibly help you?

Check out a website called MoodGym and ask your GP if you think it might help. (It sounds to me as though it might but I'm no medical professional and you're the one who knows your problems best.)

:smile:
Sorry, I'm on my iPhone , predictive text..

Yacht I guessed as much, apologies for my childish nature.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hiya! I didn't drop out of uni (in my third year I was given the option of leaving, which I declined, but that's irrelevant to my point here...) but just wanted to ask whether you'd been offered CBT, or whether it's something you'd considered at all? It just struck me that it's something that could possibly help you?

Check out a website called MoodGym and ask your GP if you think it might help. (It sounds to me as though it might but I'm no medical professional and you're the one who knows your problems best.)

:smile:

Hey :smile: I've had CBT but it didn't work so I got referred to someone , thats more talking therapy rather than more structured sessions that CBT is but that's not working either, but thankyou for your suggestion, it's really appreciated.
Reply 13
It might be possible to intercalate while you sort yourself out - but you'd lose student finance for the period.

Suppose transferring to another uni might be a possibility if you're still seeing the point in getting your law degree and it's just that specific uni that you can't handle going in to.

I'm not trying to put you down but if you're that bad you don't sound like you'd be able to get a job right now, though having a bit of structure to your days can be a very positive thing in itself imo.
Hey :smile: I've had CBT but it didn't work so I got referred to someone , thats more talking therapy rather than more structured sessions that CBT is but that's not working either, but thankyou for your suggestion, it's really appreciated.

Ah, OK then! I just wondered. Hope you're able to find some kinda resolution soon :hugs:
yacht been able to go back.

Freudian slip. Your subconscious knows what to do.. Go back by boat :cool:
Reply 16
Original post by philistine
My contribution:

Spent a year or so preparing for an arts degree, and finally got into my most-wanted university. Everything is brilliant; couldn't be better! Though not even two months goes by where I had an epiphany of sorts, and realised this simply wasn't what I wanted to do. My raison d'etre in life; my joie de vivre had simply transformed into an intimate interest. Nothing more.

This isn't bad, no. It's simply become completely obvious to me that my other interests have become my primary target now. I guess I simply pigeonholed myself into thinking this is what I wanted (though it really did feel like it). It's not just a matter of being a dunderhead and not thinking things through. If somebody had asked me six months ago 'Is this what you want to do for years to come?', I would have said 'yes' instantly; without a doubt.

My parents understand, my friends understand, and everybody on my course is sorry to see me go, as brief as our union was.

You sound like me :cry2:
Reply 17
I quit after the end of my first year...hated pretty much everything about uni. I'm still doing a (different) degree through Open Uni and I much prefer it. Haven't regretted dropping out for a second. Dropping out really doesn't have to mean that you don't get a degree! Look into part-time study or distance learning.
Reply 18
After I had started the course. I had been taken advantage of by 2 guys quite early on in the semester. It made things very difficult between me and my boyfriend , and it made me never want to drink again, I wanted to be in full control so nothing like that could happen again. I became reclusive because I was sick of ring asked why I wasn't drinking and became to be seen as someone who wasn't fun. I ended up going home more and more and menand my flatmates all fell out no one was talking to each other. I'm very lucky in the fact that me and my parents are extremely close and they've understood and helped me a great deal I suppose. But the people I was supposed to be living with in a house have grown close to each other, have made plans for next year and stuff, and here's me at home, watching everyone get on with their lives.

Did your bf do anything about it? But this is why you shouldn't drink too much lady, sucks to be you :biggrin:
Original post by bex285
You sound like me :cry2:

Oh aye?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending