The Student Room Group

Anyone else not bothered about learning to drive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Driving is fun. There's nothing fun about public transport, or at least I prefer to sit in a warm car, on my own, going where I want to go, when I want to go there, rather than have to sit on a windy railway station, getting into an overcrowded train and go where it wants to go, and then inevitably leaving myself with a 20 minute walk when I get off anyway. Yes it's expensive, but it's so worth it. I wouldn't enjoy my life anywhere near as much as if I relied on public transport.

I could walk outside and drive up to Scotland right now if I wanted to. Don't have to plan a thing.
Original post by Bern Roberts
Most people I've come across who didn't learn before they were 25 have regretted it later. While you live in a busy city like London, it doesn't always seem worth it at the time, but you may not always live in a busy city.

Its very common for people who have left it till later in life to take a lot longer to learn and to spend an awful lot more money on lessons, simply because when you're younger you soak up information a lot faster than you do when you're older.

Exactly. Well, I'm sure they would have been warned enough times. Most of them definitely wouldn't be having the last laugh as it's really hard work to get a license later in life.

It would be sods law if some of these people posting actually did get roles which require a lot of travel and also give company cars.

I also think the worst thing for a woman is having children and then finding that they cannot go very far with them as a result of not being able to drive. They have to struggle about with prams in public transport and rely so much on partner/ other people.
Original post by FXX
Driving is fun. There's nothing fun about public transport, or at least I prefer to sit in a warm car, on my own, going where I want to go, when I want to go there, rather than have to sit on a windy railway station, getting into an overcrowded train and go where it wants to go, and then inevitably leaving myself with a 20 minute walk when I get off anyway. Yes it's expensive, but it's so worth it. I wouldn't enjoy my life anywhere near as much as if I relied on public transport.

I could walk outside and drive up to Scotland right now if I wanted to. Don't have to plan a thing.

Don't get me started on the germs in trains and buses, particularly in London.
I think it's definitely best to get it out the way when you're young and have more time on your hands, like A-levels it's a pain trying to find the time to fit it around other things when you're over about 24. I know they're very dear but it'll be a great feeling when you have enough money for a car and you can buy one straight away. I'd also try to get it over with before you go to uni as it's an arse trying to carry on with the instructor at home when you have to go back to uni :sigh: If you mean never drive in your life then each to their own, but the thought of carrying on with public transport makes me want to top myself :nn: I'm so jealous of those who can afford cars, the freedom must be :suith:
Reply 44
Me! I've always been apprehensive about it. But it's really starting to pee me off that we have to wait for men to take us places-in Saudi that is. :angry:
Reply 45
I have no need for a car most of the time. on a day to day basis everything i need is within walking distance or has perfectly adequate public services.
Car would be too expensive and too much hassle.
Reply 46
I feel the same way as you. I cannot be bothered with the cost of the car, its maintenance, insurance, lessons, tests! I might wait until I get to university but until then the bus does me fine (although it is not reliable at all). Besides, I get lifts everywhere and I don't live in a place as vast as London.

I started driving last year and then whilst with my instructor, I crashed the car into a tree and so was suspended and had to fork out a wad of money. Nae amused!
Reply 47
Original post by HouseLover
I started driving last year and then whilst with my instructor, I crashed the car into a tree and so was suspended and had to fork out a wad of money. Nae amused!

What the hell? No you don't. If he isn't insured for that, that's his issue. He's the one responsible for the car when he's teaching. You got screwed over on that.
FXX is right. You shouldn't have to cover the cost of that. I might ask why your instructor allowed you to crash into a tree?!
Having a driving license is useful in itself. It is a valid form of ID for use in bars and clubs. Also as time goes on, your time schedule becomes more and more busy. You won't have the time to learn to drive when you're in uni/work.
naaah cant be botherd, maybe whem im 26 :biggrin:
i prefer the bike! for anything else i can use public transport
LOL. Captain92, you're not the only person in that situation :smile: The reason people crash is usually down to their attitude toward driving. You don't strike me as someone who would be reckless.

But yeah, if you live in greater London there is a high chance of car crime. A friend of mine has had his car broken into twice in the last few months... just round the corner from his house.
Original post by Captain92
I haven't started learning yet, mainly cos I can't afford to, but even if I could, I'm not sure whether I would or not...
A lot of my friends have crashed, and even though there is the factor of the huge sense of freedom, I'd spend the first 6 months of owning my own car constantly making sure that it hadn't been nicked (as if I'd ever get a car nice enough to be nicked anyway :tongue:)
I think the boundaries of public transport might be a good thing for me at the moment lol

I think that's one of the main problems of learning to drive when you're younger. At this age people are bound to be excited about driving for the first time, then after they've passed they drive recklessly. One of my friends apparently crashed the other week, simply because he wanted to "beat another friend out of the car park". I don't know if it was for bragging rights or to show off, but in an effort to look better than everyone else he's actually made a complete fool out of himself, and now has to fork out a fair bit of money. Too many people our age are like that unfortunately, another reason why insurance costs so much. I think if you learn to drive when you're older i.e. post-university age, you're much more likely to drive sensibly and not feel the need to show off.
Reply 53
Original post by Bern Roberts
LOL. Captain92, you're not the only person in that situation :smile: The reason people crash is usually down to their attitude toward driving. You don't strike me as someone who would be reckless.

But yeah, if you live in greater London there is a high chance of car crime. A friend of mine has had his car broken into twice in the last few months... just round the corner from his house.

Yikes :frown:
But yeah, hopefully when I eventually learn I won't be reckless lol
Reply 54
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
I think that's one of the main problems of learning to drive when you're younger. At this age people are bound to be excited about driving for the first time, then after they've passed they drive recklessly. One of my friends apparently crashed the other week, simply because he wanted to "beat another friend out of the car park". I don't know if it was for bragging rights or to show off, but in an effort to look better than everyone else he's actually made a complete fool out of himself, and now has to fork out a fair bit of money. Too many people our age are like that unfortunately, another reason why insurance costs so much. I think if you learn to drive when you're older i.e. post-university age, you're much more likely to drive sensibly and not feel the need to show off.

Agreed. I think being a little more mature can make a big difference when it comes to things like driving. A friend of mine recently look 3 friends out in his car about 6 hours after passing his test and hit a lamp-post, then rolled the car, all because he took his eyes off the road when something fell on the floor from his dashboard and he got distracted.
If he'd been driving for a long time, or had thought a little bit more, he'd have known not to instinctively look down at the floor, and that eyes on the road was the most important thing. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt, but it's put the frighteners on him!
Reply 55
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!

I stated to learn to drive, progressed really well and took to driving really easilly and I could do all the manovers required for the test. I learnt to drive because it was taking me an hour to commute by bus into University each day. Unfortunately and fortunately, University got in the way with all the coursework so I've parked learning to drive for the mo. As I am moving away into halls next year, I dont see the need to learn to drive again, and anyway, its not like I'll forget!.
Reply 56
Yeah even if I could afford the money it costs to learn, insure, buy petrol and the thing itself, there's so much I would rather spend it on. I just use buses, trains and my bike. All my friends that have got cars or are saving up for them are always whining that they don't have enough money to go out, it's silly.
Reply 57
Ideally I'd like to get it out of the way as soon as possible, even though I don't actually plan to get a car until like after university. I just need to find time to do it...
I hated learning how to drive and I hate driving as well.

However I still prefer it to public transport. Frankly I don't trust public transport to be on time. I'm not too fond of some of the people on public transport as well.

Trust me any opportunity I get to let someone else drive I take it however being able to drive is an essential life skill as far as I'm concerned.
Original post by Captain92
Agreed. I think being a little more mature can make a big difference when it comes to things like driving. A friend of mine recently look 3 friends out in his car about 6 hours after passing his test and hit a lamp-post, then rolled the car, all because he took his eyes off the road when something fell on the floor from his dashboard and he got distracted.
If he'd been driving for a long time, or had thought a little bit more, he'd have known not to instinctively look down at the floor, and that eyes on the road was the most important thing. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt, but it's put the frighteners on him!

Oh wow, that sounds bad. My friend only scraped down the side of his car! I think that because my friend's crash only resulted in a scratch on the car, he'll just drive just as recklessly as before. Your friend's crash on the other hand could have caused serious injuries, or maybe even death, so I'm sure they'll be much more safe and vigilant in the future. This may sound slightly morbid, but I think it'd be better off for the more "dangerous" drivers to experience something a little more serious than a scratch, to teach them a lesson. A few scratches or a dent isn't going to stop them from driving like a nutter. Not to say that your friend is a reckless driver or anything, but like you said, they could have driven a bit more safely by not getting distracted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending